374 Olds 350 stroker build

Status
Not open for further replies.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I’d read less, and do more. 90% of the people passing the info on are doing just that, passing it on without knowledge. If you can figure out who the 10% are you’ll get it figured out. Be one of the 10% and pass along good info once you figure it out.

This applies to so many things in this hobby, social media has turned the craft into an echo chamber of stupidity.

• Winner
Reactions: 4 users

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
This applies to so many things in this hobby, social media has turned the craft into an echo chamber of stupidity.
Absolutely the most accurate thing that could be said by anyone. No accountability for being a parrot.

Reactions: 1 user

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Do the procomp heads have the newer 'heart' shaped combustion chamber the Edelbrocks are claimed to have our are they just direct ripoffs of olds iron heads?

I'd be curious metallurgicaly and deck thickness comparison between the two sets also.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I’d buy the complete set. Check the valve seating and measurements. Spring heights too. You don’t need a Mondello for that. And maybe not even a good machine shop. I’d read less, and do more. 90% of the people passing the info on are doing just that, passing it on without knowledge. If you can figure out who the 10% are you’ll get it figured out. Be one of the 10% and pass along good info once you figure it out. Worst case it might be a valve job. Keep posting progress and pictures.
They have to go to a machine shop no matter what, they have 84cc Combustion chambers, not the 77cc they claim, the 350 needs 70cc minimum. Also there is work needed to hit the 240 cfm numbers, they flow about 225 cfm out of box. Multiple sources have reported this. They need milled a lot to work on a SBO and an electric fuel pump is necessary.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Do the procomp heads have the newer 'heart' shaped combustion chamber the Edelbrocks are claimed to have our are they just direct ripoffs of olds iron heads?

I'd be curious metallurgicaly and deck thickness comparison between the two sets also.
Supposedly well made castings, the decks are very thick, forget how much. They are basically a copy of the first gen Edelbrock heads, no heart shape Combustion chamber but supposedly allow more porting than regular Edelbrock castings, there have been 330 cfm all out ported sets done.

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
They have to go to a machine shop no matter what, they have 84cc Combustion chambers, not the 77cc they claim, the 350 needs 70cc minimum. Also there is work needed to hit the 240 cfm numbers, they flow about 225 cfm out of box. Multiple sources have reported this. They need milled a lot to work on a SBO and an electric fuel pump is necessary.
Four-five-five :sneaky:

• Agree
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Supposedly well made castings, the decks are very thick, forget how much. They are basically a copy of the first gen Edelbrock heads, no heart shape Combustion chamber but supposedly allow more porting than regular Edelbrock castings, there have been 330 cfm all out ported sets done.
It seems that they should be a minimum of 1/2” deck thickness - I’ve never seen or heard of an aluminum head of any brand thinner that. You ought to be able to knock .100” off of them for an NA build with no issues.

Of course I know nothing of these, but I'm sure you do. Put your compression as close to 10:1 as possible is my recommendation and LET HER EAT ;)

Reactions: 2 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Four-five-five :sneaky:
Not for my first build, I don't want to be another statistic. The Olds 350 rarely heads south, I just have a soft spot for GM's best 350 of the 70's.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
It seems that they should be a minimum of 1/2” deck thickness - I’ve never seen or heard of an aluminum head of any brand thinner that. You ought to be able to knock .100” off of them for an NA build with no issues.

Of course I know nothing of these, but I'm sure you do. Put your compression as close to 10:1 as possible is my recommendation and LET HER EAT ;)

Better yet, weld up the chambers. Add quench and compression.

• Optimistic

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Welding in combustion chambers - that’s equivalent of playing Russian roulette with my wiener - ahhh - I’d rather shave the heads then risk a lot of pain

HEHE 😜

• Agree
  • Haha
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor