383 or 408?

Status
Not open for further replies.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
fwiw, my 383 RIPS the tires with less than 1/4 throttle and it's a pretty mild build.
funny story, after i do the break in and retune etc, i pull out of the garage and think "hey why not". point her in the right direction and punch it. she moved ok, sorta. ok maybe i screwed something up. back up and try it again. still not at all impressive. then i realize that the reason i'm not launching is the tires are instantly spinning. DOH!
coming home one night after a new speedo gear, i get on my hill which is about 1/4mi and very steep (up). as soon as i got on the hill i hit the gas hard, and LAUNCH up the hill. before i knew it i was doing 70, i'm not even half way up the hill, and i'm hitting the brakes to avoid going right over the top!

86Cutlass383SR

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2009
Sesser, IL
LOL ... funny story ...

I get a kick from watching guys doing burnouts after it rains. Yeah, right, real hot rod ...

Then you get out on dry pavement and " redefine torque".

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
I get a kick from watching guys doing burnouts after it rains. Yeah, right, real hot rod ..
actually i loved it when i saw a guy do that! (it was actually a very wet spot on the pavement). i just went in front of him (on the dry pavement) with my 90hp vw diesel and spun MY tires. i can't do a burn out with the vw but i can spin the sh*t out of them!

markcp

Greasemonkey
Nov 1, 2007
Thanks guys,

I ended up going with the 383. Had him dyno it and set the carb for street driving. He found my POS Edelbrock carb was jetted way to rich and was washing the cylinder walls causing more oil consumption. Went with a Holly 650 with vaccum secondaries for replacement. Going to pick it up this weekend.

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
markcp said:
Thanks guys,

I ended up going with the 383. Had him dyno it and set the carb for street driving. He found my POS Edelbrock carb was jetted way to rich and was washing the cylinder walls causing more oil consumption. Went with a Holly 650 with vaccum secondaries for replacement. Going to pick it up this weekend.
What were the numbers on the Dyno??? Like you I had mine dynoed with a pos eddy 750 careb...........Now I have the holley 4779 8)

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
why do people always say "my POS carb was set up wrong" i'm sorry, but i have to say that it's your fault! if you simply rejetted, rerodded, tuned, etc, the carb would work fine. people like holleys because a monkey can tune them.

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
megaladon6 said:
why do people always say "my POS carb was set up wrong" i'm sorry, but i have to say that it's your fault! if you simply rejetted, rerodded, tuned, etc, the carb would work fine. people like holleys because a monkey can tune them.
I think your wrong there with your comment........Actually if your not a carb guy then the eddy is for you...........I bet you have one of those Eddy's...............

monte olrac

G-Body Guru
Feb 11, 2009
Wichita damn Falls Tx.
megaladon6 said:

I have to dissagree, I had an edelbrock carb and i couldn't get it run right at all, it either ran rich or ran like DooDoo, I spent a lot of money on a jet kit and metering rods etc. I not saying that edelbrocks are crappy but they fit other applications better

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
you know, all you had to do was look at my sig, where it says Q-jet. and i did the mods myself, granted i used a book as a guide.
edelbrocks are a lot easier to work with that Q's, not as easy as holley. but they are a better part throttle design than holley.
regardless, i see it, i'm sure you see it all the time on here. people who don't try and tune the carb and then call it a POS or say the company sucks.
or my personal favorite, "i got the carb off a beat to sh*t 305 and dropped it on my caddy 500 (or the other way) and it doesn't run right."

markcp

Greasemonkey
Nov 1, 2007
megaladon6 said:

Well we tried to get it tuned. Total rebuild prior to dyno, at dyno couldn't get it tuned to lean out. Engine builder figured something in the casting was causing the problems? Put on a 650 Holly and hp went up 35 on dyno.

JBreu. At 5500 rpm's it was pulling strong and still climbing at 400 hp. Builder said he could of got higher numbers to brag about, but I wanted a rough idea on HP, but tuned in ready to roll.

Here are some of the engine specs:

Heads are World S/Rs ported/polished, 2.02 1.6 stainless steal valves.
Cam is a Comp cams Hyd. roller # XR264HR

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor