383 Stroker in Monte SS

Status
Not open for further replies.

speed3

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 17, 2008
CT
I'm considering looking at this car since my El Camino seems to be sold to a friend of mine.
http://cnj.craigslist.org/cto/1025062993.html

My question is about the 475HP claim, my Elky has a 385 Fast Burn engine with optional hot cam and Holley 770 Street Avenger (ZZ4 350 block with 385FB heads) I thought that already needed at least the 770 Holley to make over 400HP.
How can you make 475 with a 650 Double pumper.

1985_mcss

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 12, 2009
my thoughts

You cant at all. it would bog out for sure and prob run bad. unless he has some crazy as heads on there even then it still would be hard to do.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
It wouldn't bog, but it would run out of breath on the top end. It would be more drivable on the street with the smaller carb right up until the point at which the engine needs more air flow than the carb can physically deliver at standard atmospheric pressure. So, if you drive it most of the time under 5,000 RPM, it would drive better with the 650 during normal driving. Racing it and redlining it is the only time when you would notice the reduction in air flow.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
Wouldn't there also be the risk of running lean and messing up the engine?

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
dan2286 said:

No, not unless it is jetted wrong. Lean means too much air. If it can't flow enough air to keep up, why would it lean out if it has proper jetting? All it would do is hit a brick wall when the carb can't flow enough air to keep up, like an early (1950's 1100cc) VW Bug. Those engines actually used the small carb's flow restriction as a rev limiter. You could floor it all day and it would never self destruct so long as it was not floored in neutral.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
85 Cutlass Brougham said:
dan2286 said:

No, not unless it is jetted wrong. Lean means too much air. If it can't flow enough air to keep up, why would it lean out if it has proper jetting? All it would do is hit a brick wall when the carb can't flow enough air to keep up, like an early (1950's 1100cc) VW Bug. Those engines actually used the small carb's flow restriction as a rev limiter. You could floor it all day and it would never self destruct so long as it was not floored in neutral.

Okay, I was just thinking of it wrong. :oops:

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
It's very possible that the 475 hp claim is true.
If he had it at a dyno shop, they could've swapped on a couple different carbs inbetween pulls to see what gains could be made, then the fellow just popped his back on when he got it in the car.

But no, a 650 cfm would never make 475 hp.

I say go take a look at it, it looks half decent in the pics.
If you buy it, just keep in mind it'll probably need more carb if you plan on racing it.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
Those engines make some crazy TQ, maybe the seller got the 2 mixed up. The GMPP HT383 made some 435 lb/ft of TQ with the Iron Vortecs with a small cam. A bigger cam and some alum heads should wake that engine up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor