3rd memeber help

Status
Not open for further replies.

87cutty

Greasemonkey
Feb 4, 2016
So im thinking of going 9 inch rear for my cutlass bc i want to be able to change gears easy for street strip use. I just dont know where to start. Nodular vs iron or stock housing with good gears and posi or deteoit locker.... any help would be appriciated.

454cutlass

Master Mechanic
Sep 1, 2009
mass
Are you going to buy 2 3rd members. Its not hard to swap but still time consuming. Would look into a full floating 9in it might make things easier. I have an aluminum center for mine. Look up http://www.quickperformance.com/
Photo0244.jpg

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I not sure how often you plan on changing gears but a second third member would be the way to go but it still will be a time consuming process to change them over.
I built my rearend with a Nodular case and a Detroit Locker with 410 gears to handle the strip but I drive it on the street.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
we ran a 9 inch on our sportsman car and we changed it a few times to match the track, it's no fun and not a 5 minute job. We weren't allowed to run a quick change rear end in that series. In our pro late model we ran a winters rear end and that is a quick change.

87cutty

Greasemonkey
Feb 4, 2016
I not sure how often you plan on changing gears but a second third member would be the way to go but it still will be a time consuming process to change them over.
I built my rearend with a Nodular case and a Detroit Locker with 410 gears to handle the strip but I drive it on the street.
The deteoit locker is that very functional on the street? Also i have seen lockers where they look huge and everything then i see one that just looks skinny.... im not sure whuch one is good or bad

87cutty

Greasemonkey
Feb 4, 2016
we ran a 9 inch on our sportsman car and we changed it a few times to match the track, it's no fun and not a 5 minute job. We weren't allowed to run a quick change rear end in that series. In our pro late model we ran a winters rear end and that is a quick change.
Thx man!

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
on the winters rear end the back plate comes off and the gears are put in by hand and the plate reinstalled without the loss of any oil With air tools under 5 minutes

1010sr_24_o%2bquick_change_rear_end%2bgears.jpg

87cutty

Greasemonkey
Feb 4, 2016
on the winters rear end the back plate comes off and the gears are put in by hand and the plate reinstalled without the loss of any oil With air tools under 5 minutes
Thx! I will have to do some research on that
1010sr_24_o%2bquick_change_rear_end%2bgears.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor