3xbrowncutty's Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
Ok just letting you all know what I have done so far to my Cutlass, and also to kind of organize my thoughts.

First of all:
1983 Cutlass Supreme Brougham
3.8L V6 :(
Dark Brown interior, vinyl roof, and New dark brown factory paint :D

Suspension:
7.5" non-posi rearend
7/8" rear swaybar
1 1/4" front swaybar (just installed, literally a few minutes ago)
Frame to frame brace under radiator (from a GP)
Radiator X braces
Home-made rear seat X braces (check out my pics)

Interior:
New Pioneer head-unit
New Blaupunkt 3.5" speakers (they are louder than the 4X10's :lol: )
Have 6X9 adapters, just waiting for X-mas :D
anti-theft door lock knobs (made them at school)

Exterior:
New paint
Have 14" Olds Rallies on all corners
Have 2 15X7 rallies for the back (just need beauty rings and tires)
Blacked out grilles and bezels

Plans:
Pinstripe, White (I think)
Take a piece of angle iron across the rear frame rails (on the Bumper mounts) to stiffen it up.
Cut front springs to get about 2" drop
Moog 5413 rear springs
215/14 on front tires
255/15 on back

Let me know what you guys think, suggestions comments, whatever.
I have some pics in my photo album

midwestls

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2007
Bismarck North Dakota
I'm with it. Just keep us posted. Oh, be careful with cutting those springs though.

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
Thanks! I will definitely be careful cutting. My uncle will be helping me, he cut the springs on his '69 Boss, so he knows how to do it.

BrownGP83

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2008
Chamberlain,South Dakota
Nice car! Don't see many brown ones. Can't wait to see more 8)

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
So that's what color my Cutlass wagon is supposed to be...

I'd do drop spindles before I cut the springs... Actually I'd leave it the stock height, but that's just me...

The angle iron between the frame rails is a good idea, but make sure that it won't interfere with the fuel filler neck, so you can still get the tank out with ease if need be. A trailer hitch is also an easy solution to this.

Get a 255/60/R15 tire for the back, you'll like how they look. I have them on the back of my 442 and they look right and there are no clearance issues.

Get some of the bigger fender to core support braces. I got a nice set off a '78 Cutlass at the yard, much better than the thin wire ones that came on the later cars.

What are your plans for the drivetrain?

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
I'm just trying to get the front pretty much even looking with the back as far as the space between the top of the wheel well and tire, then i think the 255's will do everything else for me.

Good idea about the filler neck! I already had to replace the sending unit, so I HOPEFULLY won't have to drop the tank anytime soon. my dad is just going to pick me up a scrap piece of angle iron from his work, so it'll be free, as compared to the hitch, which is a good idea as well.

I forgot to mention in my first post that I did get bigger fender to core braces from a GP. I just cut them shorter and flattened the end so they would bolt up to the stock location.

No plans for the drivetrain as of now. I am a senior in highschool, so this will just be my driver, nothing special. I really wish I could get a v8 or a turbo V6, but I just have to use what I have for now.

The junkyard right near my house will be closed about this time next year, so I might be able to get a deal on some kind of an engine, I'm there a lot too, so i talk to the owner a lot. it will be sad to see all of the regals, cutlasses and everything get crushed though.

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
Got a couple of small things for X-mas. windshield wipers, 6x9's, and a bunch of cleaning/ detailing stuff.

Here comes the questions. I was wondering how to get the old wipers off. I tried taking them off and looked in the owners manual but had no success.

also, I wired up the drivers side 6x9 with the 4x10 adapter. I was wondering how to mount the speaker with something other than the flimsy rod that comes with the adapters. I had the drivers side pretty secure, and then I woke up the next morning, and looked at it, and the little rod lost it's tension, and the whole speaker could slide around. any fixes for that?

yourownself

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2008
stoughton, ma
the wipers should be either spring loaded (just force them off by prying directly away from the wiper arm) or there will be a small clip holding them on, in which case, either push the button, or flip the clip up, depending on what style you have, then just slide the wiper away from the arm.

if you have the cheap style metal-spring-loaded wipers, that are rusted on, just break them off. you won't get them off by playing nice with them.

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
Thanks, I had the cheap metal kind. I had to pry them off, it took quite a bit though :lol: . Thanks

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
A little update. The 6x9's are in and sound great. have to fix up the wimpy mount on the drivers side though.

Was christmas shopping for my dad at walmart (where else :roll: ) looking for floor mats for his new FJ cruiser (It's really sweet btw) and saw some "replacement interior carpeting" I thought hey!, I could make my own trunk carpet kit like from gbodyparts.com!! so instead of spending $149.95 at gbp.com, I spent $9.00 on this black carpet. It matches really good too! I have the drivers side done already after 2 days. It just gives me something to do before I go back to school :x . Don't worry, I got my dad floor mats too.

I don't know how to post pics on here through my album, but I just loaded up a few so take a look! can someone tell me how to post pics please?
Thanks everyone and happy new year!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor