403 & 200-4r package

Trader history (0)

maxi426

Apprentice
Sep 20, 2018
I have decided to sell the 403 engine and 200-4R transmission that are currently in my 87 442. The 403 started out as a wrecking yard purchase from a 53,000 mile 79 Trans Am. The short block was disassembled for cleaning and inspection. It was found to be in excellent condition, so was reassembled with the original pistons, rings, bearings, and a rubber rear main seal. The cylinder heads are 7a that have been cut .080 with .027 Cometic gaskets for a compression ratio of 9.98:1. They have 2.07 intake valves, new guides, Comp Cams single valve springs and retainers, mild porting, and the crossovers have been filled with zinc. Rocker arms are the Comp Cams roller tipped with custom length Comp Cams hardened pushrods. It has a Thorton 6 qt. oil pan, and a Melling high volume oil pump. The cam is a Mark Remmel (Cutlass EFI) custom hydraulic with the following specs. 222* IN 228* EX duration @ .050, .497 IN .512 EX lift , 110* lobe sep.. I would consider the cam to be fairly mild. You can tell something's going on at idle, but not crazy. I would say similar to a stock W31 idle. Timing chain is a Cloyes double roller, and the cam has been degreed according to the cam card. Intake manifold is an Edelbrock 7111 Perfomer RPM. The Carb mounting flange has been milled .650 to allow hood clearance on a Gbody car with a decent height air cleaner. The air cleaner is an Oldsmobile lid and housing over an L88 base with a 3.5" tall filter, and It looks stockish as it has the 2nd short snorkel that the 87 442 would have, and connects to the stock cold air hose. The carburetor is a 800 CFM Qjet with new shaft bushings and rebuild parts from Cliff Ruggles, The carb has had many hours of tuning with a wide band, and works flawlessly. The 200-4R is a code CZF originally from an 87 Monte SS, and is a desirable unit for a performance build. Parts and advise for its rebuild were sourced from David Husek at Turbo Buick performance. Parts include billet stator support, carbon band, billet direct apply ring, Grand National servo, roller bearing low housing, billet shafted forward drum, billet band anchor pin, and
OD piston cut for 3rd clutch. Torque converter is the original D5 Monte SS unit which stalls at approx.1900-2000 RPM. The governor has been adjusted for 5000 RPM full throttle shifts in drive. The torque converter clutch operates through a vacuum switch, timed relay, a fourth gear pressure switch, and the brake light switch. From a roll, at a speed where the trans. will down shift into first gear, it will light the tires thru second gear and chirp into third. The car pulls really well, and has almost stock manners. The package is being sold air cleaner to oil pan, water pump to tail shaft, including Hedman ceramic coated Gbody headers, HEI distributor and wires, and Powermaster starter. The engine is still in the car, so we can go for a ride before you buy. I'm going to a different combination, so hurry before I change my mind. $2500. Message me here. Rob. Located in Buffalo, NY

Attachments

• IMG_2688.JPG
    IMG_2688.JPG
    437.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2689.JPG
    IMG_2689.JPG
    546.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2693.JPG
    IMG_2693.JPG
    572.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2691.JPG
    IMG_2691.JPG
    649.8 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: carnutjw
Mark Remmel, David Husek, and Cliff Ruggles? They don't know anything about working on cars.

Just kidding. They have awesome pedigrees. If I were in need of a modded 403 and bullet-proof TH200-4R to put behind it, I'd be on this. Trust me, if you want to beef up your ride with an Olds V8, you couldn't begin to build this combo for $2200 considering the headers alone are 300 off the shelf!

GLWS!!!

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor