455 swap maybe???

Status
Not open for further replies.

H/O84

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2016
I completely understand your point but you need to understand im only using thr headers because I bought them 2 months ago when the plan was for a built 350 that would have been around 400hp. That motor isn't finished yet and the car needed exhaust done to it. I got the headers so I could do dual exhaust and not have to re-do it when the new motor went in. If the headers are as bad you claim they will be then I'll spend the extra money on the manifolds. I also disagree that the headers do not help when stock. I put a set of headers on my bone stock 87 z28 and the headers imporved it alot due to the restrictive y pipe being gone while I'm sure there were ways to get that power without headers, it was cheap and easy. Those headers really woke the car up, I was very surprised on how much better it ran. Stock the car did not want to rev but after the headers it revved up alot faster every where.

Reactions: 1 user

Kennybill

Master Mechanic
Mar 17, 2010
Braceville, Ohio
I don't post a whole lot but if I do it's to give advice hopefully to keep someone from making (IMO) a mistake or to save money. I'm 67 and have been into cars over 50 years and made a few mistakes. Engines need "matched" components in order to get decent performance. On camshafts, look at Dyno charts in old magazines. I like the ones that show a stock camshaft numbers for a baseline. Pretty much NEVER, will you see an aftermarket camshaft make more power/torque under 2800/3000 rpms than the factory camshaft, especially with 425/455 Oldsmobile engine. These factory engineers were very smart. The designed these engines to pull "land yachts" 5000# 98's but with a change of a camshaft turn it into a 442 engine. Lots of 442s had the same small (2") valved heads as a 98. Those 98 engines were 365 hp and 500 ft lbs torque in 1970. You take a 1970 Olds 98 stock engine, tune it up/ fresh valve springs (100# seat pressure ) in a G-body with factory manifolds with torque tube dual exhaust, 3.73 gears and your looking at low 13s @ 100/105 mph. Plus the car is a pleasure to drive on the street and will be able to roast the tires at will. Shift at 4800/5000 and through the traps at 5200/5400 and you'll get years out of it. Jmo

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I completely understand your point but you need to understand im only using thr headers because I bought them 2 months ago when the plan was for a built 350 that would have been around 400hp. That motor isn't finished yet and the car needed exhaust done to it. I got the headers so I could do dual exhaust and not have to re-do it when the new motor went in. If the headers are as bad you claim they will be then I'll spend the extra money on the manifolds. I also disagree that the headers do not help when stock. I put a set of headers on my bone stock 87 z28 and the headers imporved it alot due to the restrictive y pipe being gone while I'm sure there were ways to get that power without headers, it was cheap and easy. Those headers really woke the car up, I was very surprised on how much better it ran. Stock the car did not want to rev but after the headers it revved up alot faster every where.
Is that an Olds or Chevy 350? If it is a Chevy, the headers won't work. If it is an Olds 350, that swap is super easy.

H/O84

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2016
Its a Chevy 350 the headers were meant to put on the 307 and do the exhaust. I was going to buy hooker competition headers when the sbc went in

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor