4x4 el camino/ Good idea or should I be institutionalized

Status
Not open for further replies.

itsnotanova

Master Mechanic
Aug 27, 2008
Bastrop,Tx
I did an inventory of spare parts I have and I probable could pull it off. It would have to be powered by my 305 boat anchor until it gets the ZZ4 hand me down from the malibu. That thing will wake it up!

jynxd1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 6, 2008
Liberty MO
It's your car and your investment of time and money, if its what you want, then by all means go for it. Who cares what everyone else thinks as long as you like it. If we all had the same tastes this would be a pretty boring world.

ChevyToys

n00b
Sep 11, 2008
Rockford, MN
Redneck? yes - so what?

I put an '80 on a suburban frame. Channeled the frame to tuck it up tight. Looks weird to have the frame hang down too low. Found out later a short box has the same wheel base. Use it instead of shortening the frame.
Engine fits good with the stock radiator shrowd.
Change to a big Caprice master cylinder. It has the right geometry and bore.
Fabbing the motor mounts is pretty simple too. Just set on the body, tack, and remove the body to finsh up. Add a truss on every one for strength.
Tack the bumper supports at the same time.

I'd post a pic, but I don't have an address to host it.

itsnotanova

Master Mechanic
Aug 27, 2008
Bastrop,Tx
PLEASE! PLEASE! Get me some pictures. PM me if you have too, I'll give you my email address

ChevyToys

n00b
Sep 11, 2008
Rockford, MN
I put a couple in my photo album.
Cutting frame, new supports and final wiht a4" lift.
31" tires in the pic.

itsnotanova

Master Mechanic
Aug 27, 2008
Bastrop,Tx
I'm not sure if you read this whole post ,but the 4x4 thing didn't fly to well. Oh well, to each his own. I keep going back and forth about the idea. If you had to do over again, would you do anything different than using a shorter wheelbase? What kind of responce on the street do you get? No disrespect, I like the dirrection you're going but I would put a more modern set of wheels/tires on it and maybe fab up some bumper that tie it all together. Like I said, to each his own!

78mali350

Royal Smart Person
May 13, 2007
Pratt, KS
hey i just read through this whole thread. i think it sounds like a good idea. makes it an actual truck, but that's just me

ChevyToys

n00b
Sep 11, 2008
Rockford, MN
I did read all the threads. I like both versions. I thought about finding an identical car and making a low-rider with same paint and body. This is my 5th ElC, but 1st one that's a 4x4. Always wanted to try it.

Ran out of money when my son was born - tires, body work and paint are waiting until he's less expensive. This was a pretty low budget car. Under 2K so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor