500 rwhp 350 chevy in 1986 Monte Carlo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Everyone is overlooking the fact that to take that much HP, regardless of what engine is used will require reinforcing the frame and body. G bodies can only safely handle up to 400 HP with factory bracing. More than that and you ard looking at boxing the frame, welding LCA mount gussets, bigger rear axle, etc. This is considering the op's car is in good shape and not a rust bucket.

Also, not sure about other areas, but around me, the junkyards just pull and scrap LS engines or sell them piece meal style. Plus there is the cost of learning an entire new family of engines that have nothing in common with classic gen motors in addition to buying adaptors, brackets, wiring and programing the PCM, and custom built parts like exhaust and driveshaft. Plus the only street legal LS swap for old carx is the Erod crate engine package, as normal LX emission systems do not work in G bodies. There are plenty of SBCs that last to 300k. It is pretty easy to make 400 hp with a SBC and vortec heads. 880 blocks are the best factory SBC blocks. LS engines are good, but you need to be an electronics wizz and a computer nerd to play with them.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: 1 user

Michael Watts

Master Mechanic
Dec 12, 2017
Thats the reason I built mine the way it is.Its more of a "toy" And I can tune it by pulley selection ,fuel choice and timing. And with a Super T-10 and 3:42 gears I get fuel mileage in the 20`s

icr242005

Apprentice
Mar 3, 2018
I just did 2 of them. One 500hp and the other guess 450-475hp
Crate motors are a affordable way to go but I like spending the money at a reputable machine shop.

$1000 Machine shop work
$1400 383 stoker kit
$2000 on heads
$1000 plus on all roller cam, lifter, rockers.
Here is my 383 stoker 500hp build

Scat forged rotating Assembly.

$1000 Complete block work, cleaned, checked for cracks, blocked boiled, bored, decked, line hone and every clearanced
$1000 used AFR 210 heads, milled, valve job, all new springs and valve job
$1000 roller 644 lift cam, roller lifters and push rods
$800 1 7/8 ceramic coated long headers
$250 air gap was intake
Then you will pulleys, water pump, valve covers, carb and all the BS.
A lot of ppl will say that 500hp is not streetable but I just took mine out yesterday for a 150 mile ride and it IS very street friendly. With that said lol gas mileage sucks big time but I didn’t build it for gas mileage. I have always wanted a 500hp plus motor and now have it and very very happy with it. Now thinking about a 400 cubic inch after marker block and going bigger

Attachments

• 9623C152-B192-4E0F-9454-0754DD3BCAEF.jpeg
    9623C152-B192-4E0F-9454-0754DD3BCAEF.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 185
  • 2A8D4C11-0244-4091-9FFB-39BFE698861C.jpeg
    2A8D4C11-0244-4091-9FFB-39BFE698861C.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 184
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
My turbo 5.3 makes 614 crank HP on a conservative tune. I can't live with it like that so it's turned up. Let's guesstimate 700 crank. I've fuel washed one engine before fixing the fuel tuning for the giant injectors, bent rods in a gen3 due to detonation (only have 91 octane here), and have had cam bearing issues with two others. It's incredibly strong but not at all bullet proof or cheap. It's on its second 4l80e as well. It does the whole rolling burnout thing too. 245/45/17s can't cope with the 600ish lb/ft of torque but it's fun to make them try.

• Informative
Reactions: 4 users

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
My turbo 5.3 makes 614 crank HP on a conservative tune. I can't live with it like that so it's turned up. Let's guesstimate 700 crank. I've fuel washed one engine before fixing the fuel tuning for the giant injectors, bent rods in a gen3 due to detonation (only have 91 octane here), and have had cam bearing issues with two others. It's incredibly strong but not at all bullet proof or cheap. It's on its second 4l80e as well. It does the whole rolling burnout thing too. 245/45/17s can't cope with the 600ish lb/ft of torque but it's fun to make them try.

Cam bearings seem to be a common problem on high mileage LS engines. Even our 45k 6 liter had issues. Not having a proven tune loaded for initial start and road test can be expensive and cause the issues noted.

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
I’m going to do the short block on my $400 6.0 ls tomorrow. I’ll post some pics and prices for a refresh. You can build a stout ls motor for pennies compared to a SBC.

Reactions: 2 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
That is debatable

Not a lot of gen 1 small blocks that only require a cam and valve springs to make +300 wheel. Not even getting into the number of SBE truck based LS engines putting crazy boosted numbers down. It’s a better motor, no contest. Even the stock aluminum truck heads are proven winners. A stock 6.0 with 862 heads and a decent cam is a pretty respectable combo and are common as heck.

If you think you could put together a Gen 1 combo as easy as that I’d love to hear it.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Greetings Guys; Interesting conversation here. So I ask the question "why can't Original Poster put turbo on old world SBC"? Similar results LESS $$$$. And he already owns old world SBC! From my years of experience, if some boost is GOOD, is MORE Better?? Of course it is. Have FUN, Ole' Bob.

^^^^is overlooked ALL THE TIME

Not a lot of gen 1 small blocks that only require a cam and valve springs to make +300 wheel. Not even getting into the number of SBE truck based LS engines putting crazy boosted numbers down. It’s a better motor, no contest. Even the stock aluminum truck heads are proven winners. A stock 6.0 with 862 heads and a decent cam is a pretty respectable combo and are common as heck.

If you think you could put together a Gen 1 combo as easy as that I’d love to hear it.

I prefer not to attach links from another forum, but those of you that are not familiar with Marty's Grenade thread on the turboforum, then you ought to take 3-4 hours and read the 1st 40-60 pages of the thread. To recap, he took .030 350 with rebuilder pistons and crappy heads and put a TPI on top and ran it 'til it blew up. Ohh, it never blew p, ran 9's in a 3rd Gen with minor suspension mods and just under 1000whp with a set of twins. It actually passed inspection and was street legal and looked street legal.

My favorite part of the thread are the pictures of him 'race prepping' the short block with garden hose after opening up the ring gaps to .030+. FWIW, it was my original motivation become a 'turbo build guy'

You don't need an LS, but you do need to know how to tune and sensible and safe.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor