7.5" rear behind a 455?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
How tiny are spider gears in the Gov lock? I grenaded the stock open spider gears with a 403 with street tires, very soft and the first failure point then probably the 26 spline C clip axles then gears.

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Eaton-style clutch pack, not the clockwork locker
I got the guv-lock carrier and set of 3:23's from John at Gevo's Gears and Rears. It stood up to the 400 no problem. Everything from towing boats to beer runs up the mountains in PA.

Reactions: 1 user

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
It will survive just fine under normal driving conditions. Start abusing it too hard and it will break. I've blown my share of 7.5's and it was always during a burnout or a hard launch. And it was always the spider gears that failed.

Reactions: 3 users

Lowdollarbuild

Apprentice
Dec 12, 2018
N E Georgia
If I put my factory stock Pontiac 455 w/MY6 overdrive trans in my Bonnewagon might the 7.5" rear live? I know most would say "fugedaboutit". But I ran the same 7.5" behind a harsh Pontiac 400 for 10 years with no issues. I think it would help that I already have the same 3:23 guv-lock gears in it as I did then. The trans has a 3:1 first gear which adds up to 9.69 overall ratio. I feel 10 to one is ideal and this gets me almost that. Then the .75 overdrive reduces the 3:23 to 2:42 which is some nice highway gearing. And of course I am an "adult driver" and I don't do crazy clutch dumping anymore. What I am asking is would a 7.5" rear last during everyday normal driving? Someone on here posted long ago about running a 455 w/Saginaw trans and 7.5" rear. He said be nice to it and it will live. I would not want to search out an 8.5" rear if I don't absolutely have to.
If you drive as if there is an egg on the pedal it will hold up. Wouldn't reccomend a shift kit or jack rabbit starts.

android211

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 26, 2019
Florida
I ran one behind a 500 Cadillac for awhile. No problems but it wasnt posi and I used stick size tires. Eventually I swapped in a 8.5 rear from a GN. If you just drive it normally or even full throttle as long as no slicks, shift kits or manual trans bang shifts.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
See, that is what I mean. Usually when I hear of a 7.5 or any other rear breaking it is a case of a big motor trying to push dead gears. Change to better gears- take the strain off- live a long time.

You have the 7.5 and by all means use it But if your going to invest money I wouldn't put it in a 7.5

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Mark, if you have a 7.5" in your wagon that had a stick and you towed your boat with it that would put more strain on the rear end the 455 unless you drive like a maniac

icr242005

Apprentice
Mar 3, 2018
I have a 7.5 behind a 500HP 383. 3 to 4 passes at track, many miles on road with MT’s ET street and haven’t had a problem yet. If u treat it right it will treat u right.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
If you have that kind of power w/ what are slicks - you have an 11 second car, it's not if but when.

Last edited:

icr242005

Apprentice
Mar 3, 2018
If you that kind of power w/ what are slicks - you have an 11 second car, it's not if but when.
Do what ? Are you saying a 500HP motor is guaranteed to be a 11 second car. Without knowing the rest of my set up, u r pretty damn good at this track time thing. Did I hit 11 secs at the track? No. Do I think it could? YES, if I pushed past the point I think the rear end and trans couldn’t handle it. Now go back and read the rest of my post. Treat it right and it WILL treat you right. I think u missed that part. All I’m saying is for a cruise car with street tires that DOESN’T get abused, that 7.5 will/can handle it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor