7 blade fan good upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
The engine overheated last time due to the previous radiator being sh*t. It was frozen solid once, it arrived bent, and I maybe had too high psi of cap. I had a 16lb cap. idk if that was a problem creator. I gave the radiator as scrap to my friend, he took the plastic tanks off and there was some goop in the tubes as well as some were seemingly pinched shut. It blew a headgasket a week after getting to 280 (engine off, was 240~ before I pulled over) on the highway.

the oil pressure problems are unrelated. They stem from that shitty timing cover I got from TA (I've already talked to them about it, they just blamed me for setting it up wrong).

A lot of you seem to be overestimating my "heat" problem. It has a 195 stat in it, and it hangs out at about 210/215 at idle or low speeds. Get going, it will swing back down to 190*actually. Stop, comes back up. I was just wondering if having the 7 blade would eliminate the temp fluctuation. It doesn't overheat, the coolant doesn't percolate after shutdown anymore, the engine runs just as it did the day I rebuilt it a tick over 11,000 miles ago, as if the headgasket never blew.
You do not need to get offensive. I ask the questions to better help you and for all of us to understand what is going on. Do not make it into the Suburban thread. After getting it that hot and blowing a gasket. I would have had the heads checked. As for your oil pressure problems. TA is kind of right and so are you. The front cover sounds like it may have been machined wrong? That would be on them. But you choosed to use it that way. Now it is on you. There is times you can slap stuff together and run it, and times you can't. Have to know the difference before you do that! As for your question here. Sounds like a circulation problem to me. At idle under a load you are not getting enough flow through the engine. Hence the tep variation. A smaller water pump pully would help that. I have always ran a 180° thermostat in Iowa in the older stuff and 195 in the newer stuff. If you really want to try a different fan? I have all kinds of different ones you could try.

Reactions: 2 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if the car idles at 210-215 and drops a few degress when you get going I don't see that as a problem, it's a good operating temperature. Lack of oil pressure can affect the engines temperature, beside lubricating oil also helps to keep the rotating parts cool, relatively speaking of course...

Reactions: 4 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Yeah, the lack oil pressure is much more concerning.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
You do not need to get offensive. I ask the questions to better help you and for all of us to understand what is going on. Do not make it into the Suburban thread. After getting it that hot and blowing a gasket. I would have had the heads checked. As for your oil pressure problems. TA is kind of right and so are you. The front cover sounds like it may have been machined wrong? That would be on them. But you choosed to use it that way. Now it is on you. There is times you can slap stuff together and run it, and times you can't. Have to know the difference before you do that! As for your question here. Sounds like a circulation problem to me. At idle under a load you are not getting enough flow through the engine. Hence the tep variation. A smaller water pump pully would help that. I have always ran a 180° thermostat in Iowa in the older stuff and 195 in the newer stuff. If you really want to try a different fan? I have all kinds of different ones you could try.
*defensive :p
And I wasn't meaning to. I was typing under duress. Punkass mediacom internet kept fading in and out. I guess my frustrations wormed their way into the post. Apologies. I do have my suburban fan I can try for sh*ts n giggles. Beefier that the 229 fan thats on there now.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I do have the 7 blade from the GMC...
If it could cool a 454 it should work well in a 350.
20190805_035153.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor