78-80 Monte Picture Thread

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
My old 80, had the buckets/console interior in grey. Not a panel on this one didn't have rust.
Partsforsale121.jpg

My new 80, needs a floor pan, rest of the body is in good shape for spending the last 6 years sitting. Swapped out the trunklid and hood due to rust but I had replacements. Also swapped the headerpanel since the PO rear ended somebody lightly.
ImportedPhotos00146.jpg

H2O gbodies

Apprentice
May 2, 2009
lol...everyone thinks it had a turbo which fooled a lot of people-no, I wanted to do some kind of custom hood treatment but cowl inductions are overdone imo, as are goofy rivet-on mailbox scoops. I wanted something that looked factory but had a reason to be there.

Well, as I mocked up my rear disc brake kit (this was way before you had any variety from the aftermarket...) I used a 4-wheel disc brake spec'd booster and MC/prop valve from a 1990 Iroc-Z. I made a plate that I secured to the firewall so i could space out new holes for the Iroc booster which sits differently than the stock Monte booster (and higher up on the firewall too though at the time the hood was off and I was not aware of this....) so after dialing in everything-adjusting pedal rod length, making/flaring new iso-metric brake lines, bleeding the system several times I sat in my chair to take some notes on the install when I looked up to think and I noticed the top of the MC cap appeared to sit pretty high when viewed from the side down low....it looked like it sat way higher than the top of the front fenders. Dammit! So I put the hood on, slowly lower it and yep.....the MC sits approx. 2" higher than the hood line.

So I carefully measured and cut a nice "square" just enough to clear the cap and I closed the hood...the front of the cap with the hood shut and latched sits about 3/4" above the hood inside the opening. So knowing I would need a scoop of some kind...I thought this would make the perfect hood treatment after all so after a lot of junkyard searching I found an Eagle Talon and I used that scoop and spent 60 hours grafting it to the Monte hood. Some people think it's goofy to put all that time into clearing a brake master cylinder cap with a scoop but hey-they did it to clear a damn timing belt cover on the 2.0 Talons so what the hell I thought. lol It definitely got the looks....and psyched out more than a few would be street racers I might add....lol.

yourownself

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2008
stoughton, ma
Does anyone know of a 3rd gen with an ls engine? Ive been searching to see who has what and can't find anything other than cruisinkev. I was planning to have mine done by the end of next summer, but If I'll be the first, I'll shoot to get it done sooner!

Blake B

Greasemonkey
Aug 25, 2011
KS
i haven't been able to find any, can't wait to see it when its done

GhettoRacingKid

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2010
wow dude. I love it. looks sweet. how did you go the tail lights and corner lights? ive been debating on my color scheme. I think im going to do gloss black with flat black trim.

78MC-BBC

Master Mechanic
Jan 29, 2008
he did a nice job of bonding in the bumper strips, that is a trick i'd like to see more about doing. Very well done car!

GhettoRacingKid said:
wow dude. I love it. looks sweet. how did you go the tail lights and corner lights? ive been debating on my color scheme. I think im going to do gloss black with flat black trim.
Looks like he had the front and rear lights tinted and a good job on those as well.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor