78 cutlass W-31 build

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
I've recently been texting back and forth with an old friend of mine in PA that builds transmissions and according to him my trans was probably done wit cheep parts and the problem is probably the governor. He said find another one and throw it in and it should work fine. He said the springs on the cheep aftermarket ones are junk and cause the problem I'm having.... so I guess that's were I'm at

Reactions: 2 users

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
I second that, I haven't had any good luck with trans builders the past few years.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
I haven't been on here much lately but last night after making a thred I caught up on some of your threds's and got some inspiration! I had mentioned to Jared my cars are going backwards when I was in a crappy mind frame and was feeling down. And the response got me thinking. Tho it's the holidays and I'm broak I need to do something for me. So after talking to the boss (my wife) she said your laid off a week after Christmas take the olds to your uncle's and finish making it drivable. With that I made some calls set things up and by 1:00 I was off to Howell to get my car trailer. My buddy Pat has been using it for a work bench to build a bed for his square body. Of course he couldn't meet me to unload it and it was blocked by another loaded trailer but I trekked threw the snow and ice to get it done.
Once home I got immediately pissed at the dead battery so I dropped my trailer and hit the parts store. After installing the new battery I got it fired up and then stuck in the snow! No prob drag it out with a chain like it was scrap. You need to understand by now my feet are wet and freezing and all the fluid leaked out of that wonderful transmission! But I digress in the dark I managed to get it loaded on my trailer to go to the family shop in Pennsylvania. During the week I'll gather up all my parts load them in it and get up with my carb guy it's going to be a 3 day thrash between Christmas and New years
1. Rocker stands
2. Radiator leak
3. A used trans from the old stock parts in the trailers
4. Posi and gears
5. Exaust
6. Change the leaky wheel cylinder
7. trailer hitch
8. Remount and balance the tires
And 9. Do a smoky burnout!
I'll try to keep you all posted but things happen real fast when I'm in that shop with my cousins

• Winner
Reactions: 9 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Well I just got off the phone with my buddy Jim he's picking up the shift kit and the shim kit for it and going to meet me there to give a hand.
Looks like the only thing that may stop me is whether

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
While here in Pa, get the car registered in a non emissions county & a inspection sticker, then flip off NJ DMV. ;)

Reactions: 1 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
While here in Pa, get the car registered in a non emissions county & a inspection sticker, then flip off NJ DMV. ;)
Lol that's come up in conversation a few times it's actually Jersey qq now witch is very cheap but has driving restrictions

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
I'm glad I got that car on the trailer yesterday. It was unseasonably warm today and the snow melted off turning the yard to a sloppy mess! I went out there after work and got the carb back off and boxed up to ship. Yea I'm shipping the carb to a shop that's only an hour away so it can be ready for next Saturday or Tuesday only because I can't get there during the week
15136437105801508473773.jpg

I know you guys like pictures but it's too dark to get any of the car after work lol a homemade box is progress to

• Winner
Reactions: 5 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor