78 cutlass W-31 build

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
I got to the shop about 8:00 and started mocking everything up on the side with the#6 head then switched out the 7 for the other 6 and tried measuring #1
1651323276014.jpg
1651323314847.jpg
1651327620875.jpg

When I realized I had no idea what I'm doing I gave Eric a call. He had me stop by his house and get his pushrod length tool and gave me some pointers. While I was there he gave me a case of Z-rod brake in oil because he doesn't trust additives for break in so I came back filled it and primed it with a drill. Now I've absolutely completely and totally confused myself with pushrod length. I've no clue what I'm doing. Vinny the fabricator from globex performance came by with a nice digital caliper and he came up with 8.375+.50 preload =8.875 Mondeo performance says the pushrods should be 8.650 so I set the checker at that length and it looks to be way to far off the valve stem so the wipe would be completely wrong. I really don't know what I'm doing or how to go about it all I want to do is order a set of pushrods and be done but here I am clueless as to what to order. Keep in mind I don't have a light spring to rotate it with and check the wipe on the valve correctly. I need a keep it simple stupid fix so I can be done with this. Any advice would be great because this is definitely not something I'm sure of.im not even sure how to order pushrods by length. This all means that the ones Mondeo recommended are 0.225 longer than what I came up with. But did I do it right? No clue maybe I'm overthinking it all but I don't want to order anything wrong here's a picture of it at "0" lash with the checker set at 8.650
23087.jpeg
23088.jpeg

Am I nuts or is that way to for to the outside of the valve stem? I'm starting to think I should have put a nice stock 305 700r4 in this car.

Attachments

• 1651327746070.jpg
    1651327746070.jpg
    537.9 KB · Views: 43
  • Sad
Reactions: 3 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
It's all figured out. I think took my until 3:00 this afternoon and several phone calls but it's figured. It was actually Bruce that caught the problem lol look at my math I did .50 instead of .050 lol anyway I was on my office computer and he was on his garage computer while we were both on the phone and he came up with a part # for a set of 16 pushrods very close to what I measured. When I got off the phone with him I searched that part # and found them free shipping and they will be here tomorrow before 8:00 pm for like $42.00 hopefully all goes well from here out so I can get it back together.

Reactions: 9 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
What is the final length you came up with? Glad you got it figured out.

Reactions: 1 user

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
It's all figured out. I think took my until 3:00 this afternoon and several phone calls but it's figured. It was actually Bruce that caught the problem lol look at my math I did .50 instead of .050 lol anyway I was on my office computer and he was on his garage computer while we were both on the phone and he came up with a part # for a set of 16 pushrods very close to what I measured. When I got off the phone with him I searched that part # and found them free shipping and they will be here tomorrow before 8:00 pm for like $42.00 hopefully all goes well from here out so I can get it back together.
Happy that you figured it out, but sad Bruce is no longer on the site. It is what it is though.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Tracking says there out for delivery. I went to a small swap meet this morning at New Egypt speedway and found nothing I need. I did help my buddy EJ find stuff for his 30 Ford. I'm going home to pressure wash a freezer and wait for a delivery truck to show up.

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
What is the final length you came up with? Glad you got it figured out.
8.500 with the adjustable rockers. I didn't bother measuring for the stock ones. The 8.500 isn't the exact measurement I came up with ether, Bruce and I rounded it to a close number to use a standard pushrod or I would have needed custom ones made. The ones I ordered are listed on summit for a Ford but had a footnote that they are commonly used in Oldsmobile application for adjustable rockers so hopefully they come and are correct. In other news the freezer that's been thawing in my driveway sense Friday night is still frozen soled! So I'm not getting that done either. Hopefully the pushrods get here soon I'll go to the shop and put them in.

Last edited:

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Well I cleaned up the free chest freezer we got from my neighbor that moved to Florida Friday. Still no pushrods, tracking changed again now it says. 4:30-6:15 that's probably a little late to go back to the shop when I have work tomorrow. That's ok though I'll putz with it a little bit every night after work and put it in next weekend. My wife's plan with the freezer didn't go the way she wanted, there's no power on the wall where she wanted it LoL it's a utility room so I'll just run an extension cord temporarily..... Or permanently it's not high on the to do list.

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
My pushrods have arrived! However I really don't feel like driving to the shop to put them in. I think tomorrow is another day. Besides I want to try and figure out how to use utube tonight. I want to film the brake in this time

Reactions: 5 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
After work I installed the pushrods and adjustable set up. Looks like those Ford 8.500 pushrods give a good wipe on the valve stems and the rockers clear the retainers with room to spare. There on and ajusted I did it like a Chevy just followed the firing order set "0" lash (it's so nice to have "0" lash) and went 1/2 turn. I don't know if that's right but I'm guessing it should work.
23125.jpeg

I'm going to do a little more every night after work. I'm trying to have it ready to go in Saturday morning and break it in Saturday afternoon. If all goes well this car has been a bumpy ride from the start but I think I'm getting somewhere now.

• Winner
Reactions: 15 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor