78 cutlass W-31 build

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Ok got new pushrods from the Machinist same sh*t tried one of the#7 heads same sh*t. I don't think I can make the deadline at this point and I'm about to give up. I don't know what to do and I'm tired like this project. I give up
Sounds like you need to measure for which pushrods you need. Just keep swimming brother.

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Sounds like you need to measure for which pushrods you need. Just keep swimming brother.
Well it's a little bit late for that and a little more involved tomorrow morning the car goes outside regardless wether or not I light it on fire and throw the parts in the metal dumpster is a different story. It's going to need an adjustable valve train if I want it to run not just different pushrods. Apparently both sets of heads have had valve jobs at some point and the seat heights are wrong not only are they wrong there all different that would require 16 different length pushrods. That's what happens when guys that mainly build small block Chevys try to build an olds. Oldsmobile valve trains are not adjustable so the seat height changes lifter preload. I'll need to install an adjustable rocker setup and measure every pushrod length then average the size so I can get a set of 16 in the ball park and even then some won't be right because the rockers will all be riding in different places on the valve stems. Another option would be to mill 60 off the rocker bridges and use ford shims under them however that two will course problems another option would be take up a different hobby and get rid of all my cars and all my parts it's an option I'm definitely considering because I'd rather have nothing than have nothing but a headache I don't know if you know but I've built many many cars for other people without a problem and every time I ever finished one for myself I fell on hard times and immediately sold it most times without ever registering them or driving them other than a road test. Maybe I'm just not meant to have one? Perhaps I should find another hobby, painting, sowing or some sh*t? Idk I just know this isn't making me happy anymore.
Enough of that tomorrow it goes outside with no motor because I can't get it done in time and my week of shop time is up. I need to clean up the mess so it looks like it never happened and that's going to take at least a half day. I promised the wife I'd do some things with her and Lauren this weekend and if I don't it will make life worse for me.
On a lighter note I dug through my garage here at the house when I got home because I knew I had an incomplete adjustable valve train set up for Oldsmobile and I found it it's a comp cams roller tip set up missing the pushrods and rocker nuts. So I've been sitting here trying to calm down and getting frustrated trying to find out what length push rods was supposed to be in this kit. It's been a few hours and I'm about ready to give up on that too because I can't even think right now. That is all for now I guess I'll post a picture of it all cleaned up tomorrow. I don't even know what to do with my motor or my parts because they have to get out before work. I guess I went completely backwards this week

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
put the long block back in the car and clean up. You can work out the valve train later with out time limitations.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The pushrods are in the neighborhood 8.250" long. If you can fit short poly locks, they are best way to go.

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
This morning I went to the shop. Almost everything for the car fit in the trunk any questionable parts went in the dumpster I set the intake manifold and valve covers on the motor with the hardware on top and bagged it up my brother took back his crankshaft I returned all the tools I borrowed and I pushed the car around the building to my parking spot. Without nuts and knowledge I can't measure for pushrod length all the new parts from my stock are in the back of the van I borrowed from work so I can bring them to my building when I get a chance. The floor is swept up and the frame machines are cleaned off. Don't know if or when I can get back to it so that's all for now drive it in push it out like a parts car. It's probably a good thing my Duramax is still in the shop or it probably won't be in the parking lot. Idk why Machinists all think they know everything they can't even get valve hight right on a basically stock motor if you get a valve job you shouldn't have to put $400 in rockers and pushrods to make a basically stock engine run it's absurd to think that's the norm. This was supposed to be a quick project 10 years ago I'm really considering a different hobby. Plus I'm to old for this sh*t they won't even let me get anymore cortisone shots in my back shoulders and knees and I refuse pain management I didn't quite drinking to be a drug addict.

• Optimistic
Reactions: 2 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Clutch, I can't like your post. Sometimes sh*t just doesn't work out, and it's usually because someone else cut corners. You'll get it worked out though. Hopefully sooner rather than later. Bring your boss a box of kosher donuts tomorrow morning. It was really cool of him to share the space for the week.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Clutch, I can't like your post. Sometimes sh*t just doesn't work out, and it's usually because someone else cut corners. You'll get it worked out though. Hopefully sooner rather than later. Bring your boss a box of kosher donuts tomorrow morning. It was really cool of him to share the space for the week.
I would but I put my last $20 in his gas tank lol still didn't get my new license so I can get a new ATM card only some of the new credit cards came and I haven't gotten to a store for a new wallet yet so I don't trust myself not to loose them. My wife made me go to a comedy show tonight. I'm sitting here waiting for it to start I really hope it's funny because I need a laugh

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Unfortunately, sh*t happens. My 70S and it's Olds 350 has become a ridiculously expensive folly. You got the hard part done, now piddly stuff. Go with short 3/8" poly locks and get an adjustable push rod. Yeah, I love the simplicity of the stock non adjustable valve train. Even on a chebby, you want valve stem height close or the geometry will be terrible. Spring is just starting, lots of warm weather to get it running. You can do it.

Reactions: 2 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Not much to update I'm going to use that incomplete kit I have from comp cams and make it adjustable I just ordered some rocker arm nuts for it tonight and I ordered a pushrod length checker Saturday night. I probably won't be back on it this weekend because I'm putting a dashboard wire harness in a 70 hemi coda' convertible it will suck but at least I can put the top down and get some light in there. I cought a break on the body work I need to do for the Machinist. His truck is going to be out getting trans work for a couple of weeks so I'll do it when it comes back. 4L60 s/10 problem. The hardest part about putting this back together is probably going to be getting it back in the shop because work is all of a sudden swamped! I'll probably have to finish the motor nights after work so I can do a one day drop in with it.

• Optimistic
  • Winner
Reactions: 7 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Another work week over. I ordered a pushrod length checker last weekend and it came today. I also had B&B order me rocker arm nuts earlier this week and they came today. Hopefully tomorrow morning I can switch back to my head and set it up with the studs and guide plates. I won't be able to measure the length because I don't have a caliper long enough and I never got my oil to prime the lifters. Not only that I won't have time because I've got to help Eric move and change a wire harness in a 70 cuda' dashboard. My wife is trying to change my plans but I made these plans before she made hers. If I get anything done I'll post it up.

Reactions: 5 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor