78 Grand Prix project

Status
Not open for further replies.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
I made a visit to the machine shop today and got some pics of the block after cleaning, line honing, boring w/torque plates and decking. The crank has also been turned .010 under. After I get rods, he'll finish the journals on the crank. Next step is buying forged 4340 I-beams and going with custom forged pistons. I can't let the cat out of the bag yet about the manufacturer but I'll post more as it evolves.

1978GrandPrix110.jpg

1978GrandPrix111.jpg

We'll be tapping the front plugs instead of staking new ones as well.
1978GrandPrix112.jpg

1978GrandPrix117.jpg

You'll notice some small corrosion marks on the deck. It won't affect sealing but it wouldn't have been worth removing anymore material to get rid of it.
1978GrandPrix118.jpg

ARP main studs
1978GrandPrix109.jpg

1978GrandPrix107.jpg

1978GrandPrix106.jpg

1978GrandPrix108.jpg

1978GrandPrix119.jpg

1978GrandPrix115.jpg

1978GrandPrix113.jpg

1978GrandPrix116.jpg

1978GrandPrix114.jpg

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
looking real good...it's hard to imagine a block that looks like that is actually decades old and probably has lots of milage on it.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
it sure did and I bet the guys who first build that motor had alot more pride when building it than the robots do who build today's motors

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
pontiacgp said:
it sure did and I bet the guys who first build that motor had alot more pride when building it than the robots do who build today's motors

Probably so! You could still smoke indoors and they weren't piss-testing yet in '75.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
G-Body_Vet said:
pontiacgp said:

Probably so! You could still smoke indoors and they weren't piss-testing yet in '75.

I keep hearing about the "good" times....from the older guys around... Damn rules now are so F@#&ing bad now, especially if you have a CDL!! :wtf: Anyways i have rebuilt a few motors myself and it does feel good when it starts up and runs!! 8) Keep up the good work G-body_vet!! post videos of the beast running!!

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
85GPLef41 said:
I keep hearing about the "good" times....from the older guys around... Damn rules now are so F@#&ing bad now, especially if you have a CDL!! :wtf: Anyways i have rebuilt a few motors myself and it does feel good when it starts up and runs!! 8) Keep up the good work G-body_vet!! post videos of the beast running!!

I'm not that old lol! I'm actually the same age as my engine.....both born in '75. Best believe there will be videos when I eventually get it finished but it's going to be awhile. I'm at a crossroad where I can keep this build somewhat docile or step it up to a higher power level $$$$$$$$. We're looking at some solid flat tappet cams at the moment but nothing is written in stone yet. I'd like to go roller but I can't really justify the cost vs reward yet.

Nevertheless it feels good to see the progress since it keeps you motivated.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
No "disrespect" intended! :D Most guy's i work with are older and tell me the stories they have experienced and it makes me wonder why politics and other BS dictate what we do.... I was born in the late 80's and it seems like the rules have kept me from doing my thing....lol! But build that mill to the max at what you can afford and it will still impress us! Most of us are jumping on the LS bandwagon. If it was legal for me i would love to do a 455 swap and run it! Effin rules and regulations won't let me do it!!! :blam:

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
85GPLef41 said:
No "disrespect" intended! :D Most guy's i work with are older and tell me the stories they have experienced and it makes me wonder why politics and other BS dictate what we do.... I was born in the late 80's and it seems like the rules have kept me from doing my thing....lol! But build that mill to the max at what you can afford and it will still impress us! Most of us are jumping on the LS bandwagon. If it was legal for me i would love to do a 455 swap and run it! Effin rules and regulations won't let me do it!!! :blam:

No worries, it wasn't taken as disrespect. If our emissions laws hadn't changed a few years ago I'd be going a different route too. I'd love to go with a full roller valvetrain, Edelbrock d-ports and just get ridiculous but then it's just turning into more power than I need and a waste of money. Even conservatively speaking, if I make 400hp/450tq with what I already have planned then that's more than enough for a street cruiser.

I'd still like to do a Buick, Olds of LS build sometime in the future. Too many thoughts, not enough cash!

deanlemans81

G-Body Guru
Sep 7, 2010
Acton Vale, Quebec, Canada
Ok now I`m officially jealous! man that block is BEAUTIFUL!!! I wish mine looke that good but I have to be satisfied with just a cleaning and re-ring job.
Dean

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor