Not open for further replies.

SonOfRDgear

Greasemonkey
May 18, 2011
Boston
I had some spare time after work today:

6Q7dJaG.jpg

DSCN0530_zpsb06c31cb.jpg

I just happened to stumble upon a piece of 1/2" aluminum flat stock the perfect size to make an ear! I was a little leery of welding onto the cast but it certainly appears to have come out well. A little cutting and drilling... good as new!!

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I had a long box identical colour with 2.76 gearing. I added an Olds 307, actually could get out of it's own way after that, Olds 350 was even better. The two stock sbc 350's were awful with that gearing. Deep gears and an OD trans are needed to move heavy trucks off the line. Or big torque which is why the Olds V8 is better in these trucks.

SonOfRDgear

Greasemonkey
May 18, 2011
Boston
olds307 and 403 said:
I had a long box identical colour with 2.76 gearing. I added an Olds 307, actually could get out of it's own way after that, Olds 350 was even better. The two stock sbc 350's were awful with that gearing. Deep gears and an OD trans are needed to move heavy trucks off the line. Or big torque which is why the Olds V8 is better in these trucks.

I'm hoping to keep this truck around 3700 lbs. Seeing as how it has power nothing and no a/c, and i'm lightening it up a bit, I think thats entirely do-able. I honestly can't say what rear gears thing thing has though. If the previous owner was to be believed, the rear end came out of a 1 ton dually (its a 12-bolt, and it has a rear sway bar which i know the 1/2 tons didn't come with). If thats true it probably has 3:42 or 3:73 gears. I'll eventually either rebuild this rear end or get something better anyway.

SonOfRDgear

Greasemonkey
May 18, 2011
Boston
Well, I actually did some work today!!

0GGXTzr.jpg

front right suspension is pretty much all together. Now to work on the left side, get the wheel bearings and brakes on and get it down on its own feet!

Last edited:

SonOfRDgear

Greasemonkey
May 18, 2011
Boston
well, its finally back on its own wheels! Stage 1 is complete.
bHBJSp1.jpg

Tomorrow I'm going to work at getting the bed unbolted, and hopefully get it off so i can start tackling the rest of the frame.

Last edited:

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
I love the square bodies. I have an 83 C20, that one of these days will get some love. lol. My brother has an 85 crew cab duallie, 454 with a TH400, big ol truck.

mac61891

Greasemonkey
Jun 20, 2013
West Central IL
How's the progress?

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Looks like he hasn't been here since shortly after his last post.

SonOfRDgear

Greasemonkey
May 18, 2011
Boston
Sorry everyone, I know it's been a while since my last post... had to get caught up with life. I had to take a break from working on the truck for a while, but much progress has been made since then. Currently the cab and frame are up at East Coast Metal Works in Kingston NH getting work done. It's been a while, so theres going to be a lot of pictures in this one.

gjUxTxg.jpg
siU28yh.jpg
DSM6DOx.jpg
KYibfIt.jpg
d70saqM.jpg
GIp0U67.jpg
V0f66Ac.jpg
EU7RvdY.jpg
H30zmJY.jpg
QOYU8mG.jpg
1zjLz7r.jpg
fVRtNJ7.jpg
JYoZyzG.jpg
ngT4zjG.jpg

The passenger's door was hung today, as of this posting the outer rocker and cab corner should be welded on. Tomorrow morning I'll be heading back to the shop, and all the repairs should be done by then!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor