79 Cutlass Calais Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnimalGuy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 5, 2012
Sunland.Ca
Sucks on losing your work space. I would go to some cruise nights and talk to the old timers, You might get lucky and find one that has a little corner i their shop that they may rent out and you could have a extra set of eyes to see things from a different angle.

1979Calais

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2011
Maryland
finman04 said:
Nice Cutty, Car really looks great. are you going to keep the same color.

Thanks and same about yours. I am thinking about going 2 toned....the same blue at the bottom and grey at the top. Right about now it looks like it will be the same color, because they are charging me $4,000 to $7,000 for 2 toned.

1979Calais

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2011
Maryland
AnimalGuy said:
Sucks on losing your work space. I would go to some cruise nights and talk to the old timers, You might get lucky and find one that has a little corner i their shop that they may rent out and you could have a extra set of eyes to see things from a different angle.

I just came up with something....I have a 18x18 (hope car fit) spot that I am thinking about using to working on it at my house (shhhhh). :D Also I am going out tomorrow to see if I see a few old timers park somewhere.

1979Calais

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2011
Maryland
My brother inlaw has a 350 out of a 1988-1991 Chevy Silverado (forgot the exact year). He told me I can have it to rebuild and put it in my car. The problem is I don't know how to rebuild an engine, but I believe I can do it...seen it done over 10 times....I just need to know if this engine will work, what do I need to buy to rebuild it, and what type of alum heads to get. I want to get 350 - 400 hp out of it? I will be buying to parts as soon as I find out what I need (paint job will be on hold).

Thanks in advane for your help!

cutdog815

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 1, 2011
1979Calais said:
This is my first G Body and my first time at restoring a car. I got this car from my uncle after 20 years of asking for it. He finally called me last March and asked me if I still wanted the car. Now $2,000 later i have it. The car has been sitting in my driveway for about 8 months now. I have been buying parts on top of parts. It's time to start with the build. I am sure I will need help alone the way.

Nice build this post got me really motivated I have a 79 cutlass 2

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
1979Calais said:
I just need to know if this engine will work, what do I need to buy to rebuild it, and what type of alum heads to get. I want to get 350 - 400 hp out of it?
Thanks in advane for your help!
That engine should be a pretty good foundation. All were one piece rear seal, most were 4 bolt mains and roller cam compatible. My suggestion would be a good rebuild on the short block and a complete top end kit. That way you know the parts are matched to each other and the combo has already been dynoed. Follow the formula and you'll know the exact power output. Something like these:
http://www.summitracing.com/search/Depa ... s=Rank|Asc
http://www.jegs.com/p/Edelbrock/Edelbro ... 4/10002/-1

1979Calais

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2011
Maryland
That engine should be a pretty good foundation. All were one piece rear seal, most were 4 bolt mains and roller cam compatible. My suggestion would be a good rebuild on the short block and a complete top end kit. That way you know the parts are matched to each other and the combo has already been dynoed. Follow the formula and you'll know the exact power output. Something like these:
http://www.summitracing.com/search/Depa ... s=Rank|Asc
http://www.jegs.com/p/Edelbrock/Edelbro ... 4/10002/-1[/quote]

What if I want to bore it 30 over? What type of piston should I get or will a manchine shop do that for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor