79 Cutlass Calais Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Depends on the top end components. You'll want to match the pistons to the recommended compression ratio. That will depend on the head cc. First, choose the power level you want, then choose the kit that has that power level. Third, choose pistons that give you the necessary compression ratio. Your machine shop will help you.

Intragration

Master Mechanic
Feb 4, 2012
Chicago
1979Calais said:
I wish I had a garage at my house.....would do it in the driveway , but I will be fined.....

What are things coming to, where a guy can't work on his own car in his own driveway? 18x18 should be plenty of space. Cool looking car. I couldn't help but smile when the first "part" was a frame... ;)

1979Calais

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2011
Maryland
DRIVEN said:
Depends on the top end components. You'll want to match the pistons to the recommended compression ratio. That will depend on the head cc. First, choose the power level you want, then choose the kit that has that power level. Third, choose pistons that give you the necessary compression ratio. Your machine shop will help you.

Thanks, I am going to try and find a machine shop this week.

Reactions: 1 user

1979Calais

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2011
Maryland
What are things coming to, where a guy can't work on his own car in his own driveway? 18x18 should be plenty of space. Cool looking car. I couldn't help but smile when the first "part" was a frame... ;)[/quote]

Yes things are gettin crazy, but I am about toget around that. This my first time restoring a car and I want to do it right the first time.

1979Calais

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2011
Maryland
My son acting like he driving, he calls my car a race because of how loud it is. Got a questions, should I paint the spindles red (same as suspension) or leave them black?

Attachments

• IMG_5214.JPG
    IMG_5214.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 620
  • 2012-04-15_11_04_06.jpg
    2012-04-15_11_04_06.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 597
Reactions: 1 user

hurst1979olds

G-Body Guru
Feb 19, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Nice looking car. I will be looking forward to seeing more of this. Being its a Calais if you ever come across another set of grills be sure to hold on to them. Its good to keep "crash" parts like that around, just in case. They are hard to come by. Luckily I was able to buy a complete 79 H/O(same grill as calais) header panel with the grills in them.

1979Calais

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2011
Maryland
hurst1979olds said:
Nice looking car. I will be looking forward to seeing more of this. Being its a Calais if you ever come across another set of grills be sure to hold on to them. Its good to keep "crash" parts like that around, just in case. They are hard to come by. Luckily I was able to buy a complete 79 H/O(same grill as calais) header panel with the grills in them.

Thanks,
When I first started looking for part, this guy that has been selling olds parts told me that my car is the hardest to find parts for. I got another set of them, because I have a broken bracket. I am also about to buy another set off Ebay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor