79 Cutlass Wagon G-machine build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Looking amazing so far, Ben. Great progress.

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois
Awesome work! Good deal on the 5.3 too for that mileage. Can't wait to see it running

SRD art

G-Body Guru
Jun 16, 2011
St. George, UT
Thanks and I can't wait either! :D

SRD art

G-Body Guru
Jun 16, 2011
St. George, UT
Progress updates...

First off the final shots of the wheels tubs. After welding I used a DA with a 220 grit pad to clean them up and then coated the cargo area with Por-15. Eventually I'll cover the area with some bed liner type material so I can still load messy junk back there.

tubfin1.jpg

tubfin2.jpg

tubfin5.jpg

tubfin3.jpg

tubfin4.jpg

SRD art

G-Body Guru
Jun 16, 2011
St. George, UT
Tuesday I started on the roll bar. Previously I picked up some 1 3/4" .120 wall tubing from the local metal supplier. They came in 24ft lengths @ $53 ea and I had them cut to 12 ft lengths. After some measuring my professor helped me start bending the main hoop. Using the PVC mockup we were able to bend the curves to match the design perfectly without needing to remove the bar from the machine for test fits. It turned out great and fit nice and snug. Next order of business was the hoop cross bar. This was bent to allow a pretty wide range of movement for the seats.

roll01.jpg

roll02.jpg

roll10.jpg

roll08.jpg

roll07.jpg

roll09.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Loving the wheel tubs. I have been repairing mine, as I have a 275 tire in there now with room to spare, lowered too, I don't need to do all that. but I am curious as to what you are gonna do with the interior.

SRD art

G-Body Guru
Jun 16, 2011
St. George, UT
I'm still working that out. For the rear I will cut the factory panels off at the design line where they curve down, if that makes sense. Then I will make flat panels that follow the contour of the tubs. Still thinking if I want to do a nice pattern with orange and black vinyl or just use carpet. The floor and tubs will be covered in carpet that can be easily removed for hauling stuff that might get it dirty. Next Semester in January we cover interiors so I will probably do some mock up drawings before I make them.

The 275-40-17s fit fine with no mods, I just wanna put 315-35s under there someday. Since I was planning on tearing the whole car down anyway notching the frame and building the tubs now was all about convenience. Before I lowered it I drag raced the car for a season on BFG 275-50-15 Drag radials without rubbing. I suspect they would fit lowered too.

khan0165

Royal Smart Person
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
this is gotta be one of my favorite builds... And you too liquidh8
you guys have some real talent! Keep up the great work

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Ben,
I finally had some time on my hands this morning, so I've gone through your entire thread here. Its pretty amazing. I'm really glad that we've been able to see the entire progress of the car, right from the beginning. You're obviously very talented, and very imaginitive-your ideas are good and your execution is also very good. I think you've been very smart to sign up for all of the instruction, and you've obviously been very fortunate to have had the access to the shop and equipment that you're using. From what I can see, your instructors are quite knowledgeable and experienced too. I'm looking forward to see all of your progress. Thanks very much for sharing your build in as much detail as you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor