79 Cutlass Wagon G-machine build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Looks like that's going to be one rigid frame. Nice work Mr. Ben. :)
Fat friends come in handy sometimes...especially for testing the strength of a cross member... :lol: No offense, Jay. :wink:

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois
That crossmember will be more than enough for any trans except maybe an Allison or like size trans. Tubular crossmembers flex and I've never seen one that has broken before.

brettlaage03

Greasemonkey
Mar 30, 2010
SW Wisconsin
I'm so envious of both your car and even more so of your skills. I love it. And I dont even like wagons that much. But they are growin on me.

SRD art

G-Body Guru
Jun 16, 2011
St. George, UT
Got my rear bracing finished up Friday. First I started by doing some measuring and with the table plasma cutter cut out some rectangular 1/8" thick plates. I tack welded them to the frame rails and then drilled some bolt holes.

Right side then left side...

rearbrace01.jpg

rearbrace02.jpg

Then I took some 1 5/8" tubing and bent it according to a design I've been working out. Got it welded in and started on the bars to connect the control arms. Again I started with cutting out some mounting plates and used the control arm bolts to hold them in place.

rearbrace04.jpg

rearbrace05.jpg

I used the tubing bender to slightly curve some 1" tube, then flattened the ends in the press, and then welded them all together. Here's the end result. The smaller tubes on the cross tube go to holes that are pre drilled in the frame. I'm patent pending working out mass producing this brace so hopefully I can sell some in the near future.

rearbrace06.jpg

rearbrace07.jpg

rearbrace08.jpg

rearbrace09.jpg

And I tried out some orange paint on them. On a black frame with orange suspension parts these should look pretty cool.

rearbrace10.jpg

rearbrace11.jpg

My last little bit Friday I started on the heavy trailer hitch brackets. No school Monday so I'll wrap them up Tuesday and start bracing the front. By the time I'm done this car should be one rigid bad doggie.

SRD art

G-Body Guru
Jun 16, 2011
St. George, UT
brettlaage03 said:
I'm so envious of both your car and even more so of your skills. I love it. And I dont even like wagons that much. But they are growin on me.

They tend to do that. When I was 19 I bought a 65 Nova wagon for transportation while I was building my street /strip 73 Nova. That was back in '89 when they weren't considered something special, and I loved driving that thing around, even with its worn out 6 banger. Unfortunately I had to sell it when I went on a mission for my church for two years. I've wanted another wagon for a while but a big 'ol 4000lb Impala wagon seemed too clunky to performance drive. I never paid much attention to the g-body wagons until this one fell into my lap. While this car is in the shop I had to buy a commuter car and picked up a 2000 Daewoo wagon for a great price. I'm already thinking about my next build and now feel weird thinking about buying a regular two door car, lol!

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I like the braces, Ben.
The orange gives it a cool anodized look. 8)

warbird

n00b
Jan 24, 2012
awesome build, incredible skills. your illustrating skills are awesome too, wish i could draw my car up like that. i gotta ask... what is the name of this school you are going too? where is it located? got a website?
the reason i ask is the wife is air force and we are looking to change bases and she said this time i get to pick one close to a school i want to go to. and this school looks promising... sorry to go off topic. back to the awesome build

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
SRD art said:
Now for some new goodies.

I got this dual gauge pod from gbodyparts.com. They had the best price I could find at $50 including shipping. Seemed a bit steep for a mass produced thermoformed thin piece of plastic, but I guess you gotta pay if you wanna play. My interior is currently totally stripped out but mocking it up where it will go it looks like it won't be a perfect fit for my car, for sure one of the screw holes doesn't line up at all and not so sure everything else will exactly either. Maybe the wagons have different pillars? Either way I don't think it will take much to make it fit well.

Pillarpod.jpg

I have the same pillar pod on my regal and only one screw lined up. i drilled another. Ride looks great man. Fab work is outstanding. Keep up the great work bro.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
The wagons pillars are different. I took a 3 gauge pillar for a 2 doors, the a donar wagon pillar, and after a bunch of molding and fiberglass, I got a factory looking pillar. Alot of work, but worth it IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor