79 el Camino 454 ss tribute build thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

79elky454ss

Greasemonkey
Sep 30, 2007
ohio
I have decided to start a build thread. I am already well into this project, although it may not show yet.
The "theme" of this build is a tribute to the early '70's Big Block SS el Caminos. That means I am going to use the emblems,wheels,paint colors,and striping that was appropriate to that time. I love the styling of my g-body, but not the drive train, wheel, and emblem/graphic choices. My goal is to build the car Chevrolet should have built in '79, with a few upgrades that were not available then, i.e. overdrive automatic, electric cooling fans, modern audio system.
I started with a '79 elco that I bought off Ebay several years ago, for $1100 and have driven,as it appears in my signature, until recently.
100_1019.jpg

I purchased the engine about 3-4 years ago in a complete, running '85 suburban ($700 Ebay). it was freshly rebuilt, I tore it down to confirm that story, and with some advice from forum members, installed a low r.p.m. (truck/r.v.) cam and lifters, h.v. oil pump, double roller timing set. Summit stage 1 aluminum intake, and a spec built Quadrajet. I am expecting a very torquey, very streetable engine.
elcamino005.jpg

I took the body off a few weeks ago and mounted it to a modified camper frame.
elcamino003.jpg
This allows me to move it around, in and out of my garage, and to the body shop, it also gives me access to the underside of the body, and provides a nice working height. It is not a rotisserie, but not too bad for portability.
I was about to order rear frame sections from California from Ebay, when I stumbled upon a complete,rust free, frame and auburn posi, just 3 hours away. I have disassembled, sandblasted, and painted the frame and suspension, rebushed the control arms with energy suspension parts,installed afco racing ball joints. I reinstalled the axle assy from my original car so i would still have a roller, while I attempt to change the ring and pinion in the posi axle.
elcamino004.jpg

I will post some pics,as soon as i get it figured out, and will try to stay updated. Greg

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
Nice... It's gonna be bad *ss. Looks to me like you're starting with a clean car to begin with. 8)

79elky454ss

Greasemonkey
Sep 30, 2007
ohio
kornball426 said:
Nice... It's gonna be bad *ss. Looks to me like you're starting with a clean car to begin with. 8)
Thanks, It actually was not as nice as it looked. Every time I remove another part more rust. There are no more hiding spots now. The one thing you cant see in the "before" pic is the dozens of holes drilled by the previous hillbilly owner, to mount a lund visor, 2 searchlights in the a pillars, toneau cover snaps, toneau bows, C.B. antenna bases screwed to the inside of the bed, And some kind of nautical rope tie downs on the bedsides. I am actually putting new quarter panels on because of the sheet metal screw holes.

bawazir

Master Mechanic
Sep 10, 2010
Looking like a fox, nice nice,
check out my built up: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=22353
still not done with it but is coming along

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
Pssh... All that ads character, I had a truck with a spray bomb paint job, and a fender that was half bondo. The paint job was supposed to be half gloss, and half matte... Like the black on black "interceptor" from Mad Max but it all came out just flat. And surprisingly that truck got more compliments than any vehicle I ever owned. :lol:

But in all seriousness... That Elco is going to be awesome. Any G with a 454 is bad *ss in my book and with all the effort you're putting into it, it's going to be absolutely sweet.

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
Great project. Love the frame off on trailer idea for inexpensive & practical. Never knew anybody to complain that their car was too fast. Having done some similar projects with similar goals I have some thoughts. I agree with being conservative/practical enough on your build/setup but don't be too conservative. Are you building a daily driver capable car or will it be your only daily driver? If its not your only daily driver then things like some more cam might help provide what you really want to end up with. Instead of being a little disappointed not making the impression you want and taking time & money to do it over. In conjunction with this two benefits of an overdrive transmission is that you can & should gear it for the quarter mile (thru 3rd & which allows more cam) AND get a lock up converter. One of the great benefits of a lock up converter is you can inexpensively get up to a 3,000 stall converter that locks up under part throttle so you only notice it and or the benefits of that under WOT. This also allows for more cam & makes it more cam practical. It also keeps a cool transmission as their is no continuous converter slip as well as the benefit of low rpm & fuel economy on the highway or in overdrive.

I am not saying you should use so much cam that you don't have power brakes etc just throwing it out their as who wants to leave power & efficiency unrealized or on the table so to speak. Same thing with compression its both power & efficiency up to the point of detonation. Not saying you want to take the time or money to tear this engine down but if later it does have to come apart.. Good choice with the carburetor. Much better as a driver and more fuel efficient and properly done won't cost you anything on the track if & until you start running that car over 115 mph in the quarter. Yes its more work but its worth it. Most people think either race car build or way conservative. I always say its harder to build an 11 or 12 second street car than a 9 or 10 second drag car. And much harder to get good advice on building one. My definition of street car includes dependable reliable pump gas drive it anywhere. Good luck have fun and look outside the box.

79elky454ss

Greasemonkey
Sep 30, 2007
ohio
Re: 79 el Camino 454 ss tribute build thread,UPDATE

100_0208.jpg
Since we last met,I have installed my 454 into the chassis.I am in the process of fitting the alternator, p/s pump,carb,trans,fuel pump and radiator. The ebay headers I planned on using were for a street rod and ended interfering with the engine crossmember. Thanks to the guys on here I was turned on to Hooker 2455 headers, with a few mods fit nicely. I just fabbed a trans crossmember and test fitted the 2.5 summit dual exhaust. I hope to fire the engine without the body, then store the chassis while concentrating on the body.

79elky454ss

Greasemonkey
Sep 30, 2007
ohio
tummy5151 said:
how much hp arr you expect to push out
Not alot actually, I selected a camshaft for truck/RV application, and the "peanut" port heads aren't known for high RPM power. I do however hope for gobs of low RPM torque, which is where the engine will spend most of its time, as a street cruiser. To answer your question the stock TBI 454 had 260 HP and 360 torque. With the small mods (cam.exhaust and carb/manifold) I expect modest gains in HP and more significant gains in torque.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor