79 El Camino lowered 3" finally done

Status
Not open for further replies.

deerhunter

Apprentice
Mar 11, 2010
Summerville, SC
Hey pontiacgp, you were right man, adding more shims will make my problem worse, so I guess removing the shims will lessen my negative camber but I don't think it will fully correct it. Will the taller ball joints do anything for me?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
with a 3" drop your lower ball joint is sitting further out due to the arc of the lower control arm kicking the tire out at the bottom and your upper must be up way past the horizontal point pulling the top in. A taller spindle would only thro the upper higher and pull the wheel further in so that won't help. You'll need a longer upper to correct it but before you do that taker a look at the clearance you have between the rear side of the lower control arm and the frame. You might need to shave that hump off the lower since I doubt you have much clearance.. the lower may sit on the frame going into a corner which you don't want..do you have a picture of the upper control arm sitting in it's neutral position?

I'm running a 1.5" lowering spring with a tall lower ball joint which drops it another 1/2" and with the camaro spindles I cut an inch out of my uppers so I can get the -1* camber settings I like. The stock length of the upper is 8"

deerhunter

Apprentice
Mar 11, 2010
Summerville, SC
I'll look into longer uppers. Any ideas as to why when I reverse into parking, my camber straightens out, and even goes a little positive?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
when you reverse and hit the brakes the weight comes off the front end, the arc of upper rotating downwards will push the top of the tire outwards.....

deerhunter

Apprentice
Mar 11, 2010
Summerville, SC
Still waiting to replace all the front suspension and steering,was about to do it, but then I got sent on an 11 day trip around the Pacific. Sittin in Singapore right now. But I remember someone posted a link on here somewhere for a website selling a front end kit for like 160 bucks, but I can't remember what site it was. If you remember what I'm talking about, let me know. Thanks

houndin101

Master Mechanic
May 5, 2010
im prolly lowering my front end an inch or 2 and the back just one inch.gonna have it more mean lookin then it is now

deerhunter

Apprentice
Mar 11, 2010
Summerville, SC
sweet man, post pics when you're done. I think I'm gonna swap out my long tubes for shorties soon, so I can put all my column shift linkage back in, then my bench seat, man I miss my bench.

SScamino

Master Mechanic
Jun 26, 2009
fishersville, Virginia
What long tubes do you have? I have shorties on mine.

houndin101

Master Mechanic
May 5, 2010
why do you miss your bench? and i will but i cant find any 2" drop springs...and idk i love my long tube.i want a floor shifter

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor