79 gp info

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirty joe

Apprentice
Dec 14, 2006
405 okc
whats up guys. I am building a 79 gp right now. my lil bro wrecked it before i started building it. so, i need a whole new front end. but, i was wondering, do the body lines of a 81-87 gp line up to a 78-80 gp? i am askin, can i put the 81-87 front end on my 79 gp? reason askin, they make a fiberglass cowl hood for 81-87 for $290, and just a flat hood for the 78-80 years for $260 for hood, $150 for cowl, and $150 for installation. any ideas? thanks, joe

averagewhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
From the few pics I have, it doesn't really look like it'll work. But I might be wrong... But you're right, that cowl hood looks mean. I'd like to get a nice clean, maybe 2 incher on my '85...

frtend

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 31, 2006
Indiana
ok...to answer your question better.....Pontiac did a reskin in 1981. Therefore the 81-87 sheetmetal will not match up with your 78-80. as far as can you actually bolt the newer dog house on?? Don't know for sure,probably, depending on how much modification you wanted to do and then you still have to massage the fenders to line up with the doors. If you have the time,money,patience,skills,etc....go for it!!! Otherwise....like I said,find a wreaked 78-80.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor