7K Mile '81 Buick Regal (3.8L) for sale on Bring a Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
The pictures aren't as good as they could be for a good inspection, but after studying them fairly close, it appears this is a 7K mile original. There was a lot of corrosion from sitting under that hood that got cleaned off. They didn't do a great job cleaning the one side of the alternator from that aluminum white dust. A lot of small corrosion spots from sitting can be noticed.

As far as the rattle can thing, the front A-arms don't seem to be coated with it, and the rear axle is showing what appears to be older corrosion spots. So, if it was just a rattle can, it was done many years ago. My guess is that it had some sort of undercoating crap (that old thin, waxy, dealer-applied sh*t on it). The stuff that doesn't really work, but might stave off some minor rot. The underside looks very solid, otherwise. They didn't put that stuff everywhere. Hard to see, but the inner half of the belly pans aren't covered in that crap, just the outer halves and along the frame lines and the gas tank area. Whatever was done under there, it looks like that happened a long time ago. It does have a rear main seal leak apparently. Understandable for as long as it sat. Muffler appears original and is corroding at the spots I would expect for a car that hardly gets started and ran.

These are just my opinions based on the pictures provided. I could be wrong. But I've seen enough of these low mileage cars to know there's no way in hell that the car which was sold in NY new, and apparently lived there all its life, could have survived 107K miles with only surface rust pits here and there, typical of a car just sitting up somewhere for ages. The inside bottom of the doors are pristine. That and driving in NY would tell me that it's too unlikely this car saw much action, if any, on winter weather streets. The 7K is believable based on current condition.

One little thing does sort of bug me though. Why did they remove ONE of the cowl tag screws? You can see where it used to be. Doesn't appear there was anything done there, but you never know. Based on chipped paint on the other one, I suspect they may have removed the tag to clean in that area (not very well anyway) and lost one of the screws. Just a guess.

Regardless, the car presents well and is very clean overall. Needs some detail work, but that would be part of the fun. Two major things that I couldn't live with keep me from bidding on it, but it's a very clean original based on what I can see and I would suspect the car would make a fine driver.

If anyone was needing to find a solid body for a project, this would probably be one of the most solid you could find. Save for whatever you might find under that vinyl top.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
When I saw the first underhood picture, first thought was "that car lived by the ocean". When I saw it was from NY on the AAA sticker, my fist thought was "Long Island". Then I saw where it was delivered "Mineola, NY" - never heard of it, so I typed it into the googler: "Mineola is a village in and the county seat of Nassau County, Long Island, New York, United States..."

I still got it.

For the record, 7,000 mile cars that are more than 100 miles from the ocean look like 7 mile cars when you pop the hood. Oceans are bad to cars.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
First of all let me say it is one beautiful car !! As stated this guy is hoping for a big home run which I don't think will happen. Don't know if we know the out come because I predict the auction will ended when he finds he is not getting the expected bids. It's a plane jane nothing Regal and I have to agree with UNGN on the pricing if it makes it there. Some of you might remember I was selling a 21,000 mi V6 Regal a few years ago (no vinyl) which was a hard sell and got $3500.00.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
For me it is just an expensive roller with a vinyl top and I would still have to change the tail lights and front nose to the IMO better looking 84' and up set up.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I'd absolutely defile that thing and feel no remorse.

• Agree
  • Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor