7K Mile '81 Buick Regal (3.8L) for sale on Bring a Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
I am leaning in the other direction with this. If someone wanted to drop over 11K for a clean shell, AND THEN invest in HP mods, they could have easily found a GN roller for about the same, and had a GN. The person who purchased this vehicle will likely preserve it and drive it as is because their family had one when they were a kid, or perhaps a regal like it was their first car ect ect...whatever it may be, I hope they preserve it for what it is.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I am leaning in the other direction with this. If someone wanted to drop over 11K for a clean shell, AND THEN invest in HP mods, they could have easily found a GN roller for about the same, and had a GN. The person who purchased this vehicle will likely preserve it and drive it as is because their family had one when they were a kid, or perhaps a regal like it was their first car ect ect...whatever it may be, I hope they preserve it for what it is.
Problem is, it's a GN.

Lots of people find the black on grey boring. Very boring. Ive considered another 82 or 84 because they're interesting and somewhat different. But generally... bleh. Need variety.

I guess they could find a T, but, clean examples of those are hard to find and pricey. Usually they're beat to crap and need a full strip/repaint, lots of interior work, etc. Lots of people just don't want to deal with that.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
Problem is, it's a GN.

Lots of people find the black on grey boring. Very boring. Ive considered another 82 or 84 because they're interesting and somewhat different. But generally... bleh. Need variety.

I guess they could find a T, but, clean examples of those are hard to find and pricey. Usually they're beat to crap and need a full strip/repaint, lots of interior work, etc. Lots of people just don't want to deal with that.
I agree, out where I live when I take my GN to shows, it draws a lot of attention because they are few and far between, yet when i went Carlisle car event when the GN/ TYPES were featured a few years back, seeing rows and rows of them, yeah, I found myself walking on by not paying attention after about an hour lol. I have always liked different or true originals, even if they got the normal patina, LOVE IT and they are only original once so..... I think this sale here was a very KKOOL and loved looking through the pics!

• Agree

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I agree, out where I live when I take my GN to shows, it draws a lot of attention because they are few and far between, yet when i went Carlisle car event when the GN/ TYPES were featured a few years back, seeing rows and rows of them, yeah, I found myself walking on by not paying attention after about an hour lol. I have always liked different or true originals, even if they got the normal patina, LOVE IT and they are only original once so..... I think this sale here was a very KKOOL and loved looking through the pics!
I've got a very, VERY "boring" row in the works in the old warehouse.

My first car was an 83 regal, white/red with red landau top. (Still have it) I've slowly and quietly been snapping up/stuffing away it's counterparts.

Currently there's the original , a factory built clone -every single option 100% identical down to the non-tilt, non split bench, rear defog, etc. Except for rare occasions, its there to give the feeling of driving the original without the risk of someone doing something stupid.

There's also a t-type. Then there's a somewhat worn 150k mile limited that I'd replace with a nicer example if I find it. Still need a 4dr and wagon.

All 1983. All white. All red landau. All red interior.

I think it'd make an interesting display row at a show to basically have the lineup side by side, when I get around to completing the collection.

Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
So the trend is having 78-88 A/G-bodies move up the $$ chain. Ok. Cool. I would imagine there's always those left in the dark that have no clue of any purchase/sold prices, and can still snag a cheap deal on a good car. Used to be that way with the older iron, too.

It's a double-edged sword, though. For those looking for a project, it's going to cost you more to get in the door. Not tremendously more, but more nonetheless. I look at this more as a supply and demand issue. I don't think the demand is spiking, I think the demand is still somewhat constant for these cars, maybe up a tick, but the amount of desirable cars available are dwindling by the year.

On the other side of the coin, if you DO have one to sell, the prices edging up is not a bad thing. It's still not at the 60s/early 70s iron prices, though.

So if you have a decent one to sell, particularly if it's low mile and rust free, you can always point to this sale to "prove" that the higher price you're asking is still in the ballpark.

Of course, if you don't want to pay, you won't get to play. And as usual, there will always be plenty of sour grapes to make sour wine...or was that "whine"? :)

Reactions: 1 users

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
There will ALWAYS be $2500 "project cars" , just like there was 20 years ago. You can still find 1960's Lemans project cars for $2500 that are few badges and a drivetrain swap away from a GTO.

People may be "priced out" of super nice G-bodies, but nobody with Zero skill should expect to be able to buy a turn key, needs nothing, Old car for cheap.. ANY old car.

My son bought an '84 944 that will be my next project for $1000 a couple month ago. I could probably sell it as is for $3000 today, because people "got to have it".

Young people are always the ones that feel they "missed out" when car values start going up, but here is a life lesson for them:

Cars you can sell are always better than ones no-one wants, unless you are just weird hoarder guy. Weird hoarder guy ends up losing 1/2 his crap, when the wife finds out she's married to weird hoarder guy.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
There will ALWAYS be $2500 "project cars" , just like there was 20 years ago. You can still find 1960's Lemans project cars for $2500 that are few badges and a drivetrain swap away from a GTO.

People may be "priced out" of super nice G-bodies, but nobody with Zero skill should expect to be able to buy a turn key, needs nothing, Old car for cheap.. ANY old car.

My son bought an '84 944 that will be my next project for $1000 a couple month ago. I could probably sell it as is for $3000 today, because people "got to have it".

Young people are always the ones that feel they "missed out" when car values start going up, but here is a life lesson for them:

Cars you can sell are always better than ones no-one wants, unless you are just weird hoarder guy. Weird hoarder guy ends up losing 1/2 his crap, when the wife finds out she's married to weird hoarder guy.
But, it's cheaper to buy her out when it's weird stuff!. "That thing's only worth $300. Here's 150; STFU." :p

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
But, it's cheaper to buy her out when it's weird stuff!. "That thing's only worth $300. Here's 150; STFU." :p
You're doing it wrong. Marry her and get it for free when a shelf of stuff "accidently" falls on her 2 weeks later

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor