8.5 rear end identification

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dinosport

G-Body Guru
Jul 20, 2015
Ct
I was thinking about this topic today and realized also an 8.8 can be had pretty cheap and I know for sure those can be narrowed because we have done it. You can buy axles for that rear in any size you want. The main concern for me is how well they function in the car. Do they bind up? basically can they be swapped in and you not know the difference as far as the way the car handles and puts the power down?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Travis Clark

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 25, 2017
I was thinking about this topic today and realized also an 8.8 can be had pretty cheap and I know for sure those can be narrowed because we have done it. You can buy axles for that rear in any size you want. The main concern for me is how well they function in the car. Do they bind up? basically can they be swapped in and you not know the difference as far as the way the car handles and puts the power down?

I am unsure of this. I am sure someone has utilized at 8.8 on a G Body but I do not have the knowledge to perform such a feat.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Travis,
It's been done before on G-bodies. I think the rear that would be the closest in size would be ones from a Mustang. My friend is planning to install one in his Cutlass Cruiser. It does require having to weld on new spring perches. It also requires having to use aftermarket upper control arms, and of course, a U-joint conversion to connect the G-body driveshaft to the 8.8.
That might be your best bang for the buck....plus finding a good high performance Mustang rear would have disc brakes. Worth looking into.

You might find this helpful. http://www.hotrod.com/articles/how-to-swap-ford-rear-into-a-gm-g-body/

Reactions: 1 users

Travis Clark

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 25, 2017
Travis,
It's been done before on G-bodies. I think the rear that would be the closest in size would be ones from a Mustang. My friend is planning to install one in his Cutlass Cruiser. It does require having to weld on new spring perches. It also requires having to use aftermarket upper control arms, and of course, a U-joint conversion to connect the G-body driveshaft to the 8.8.
That might be your best bang for the buck....plus finding a good high performance Mustang rear would have disc brakes. Worth looking into.
Sweet. So the 8.8 is used from an Explorer or the Mustang? Which years has this mod been performed with? Thanks for the information.

Dinosport

G-Body Guru
Jul 20, 2015
Ct
I am unsure of this. I am sure someone has utilized at 8.8 on a G Body but I do not have the knowledge to perform such a feat.

Ok. So the g body has a rear everybody looks for which is the 8.5 rear. It came in Cutlass 442's, Grand Nationals, Ttypes, and Ive heard rumors that some elky's had them. They are hard to find and 1500 for a good drop in one thats 30yrs old. Some guys use old school 12 bolts with conversion upper control arms but the rear is too long. Or you need different offset wheels. The ford 8.8 can also be used, just like the 12bolt with some conversion control arms but again the lengths are wrong. So basically what Im saying is how hard is it to narrow one of those rears to the right length and be able to use the wheels you already have if you cant find a 8.5 at a decent price? Now I know this isnt true for everyone but for me if I can find a 12bolt posi for cheap enough the labor to narrow the rear will cost me almost nothing, then all I need is to buy axles for the 12bolt in the correct length. You can get Currie or mark williams to make what ever axles you want, you just have to give them the info they need.
Next and actually the most important question I have is how well do the conversion control arms work. Will the diff travel up and down properly, will the driveline angle be correct? Can you expect it to hook up like an original gbody rear or will it give you exessive wheel hop.
As I proof read this Im probably just going to confuse you even more. Anything you dont understand I will be more than happy to explain to you. But with all these questions answered one can make a better decision on how to spend there money based on there needs.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor