'80 Lemans Tear Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdvick

Master Mechanic
Jun 25, 2010
Elk River, Mn.
I'm trying to be very patient and not rush anything. I only want to do things once. I'm waiting until last to do the motor. I don't want it setting done in the corner taunting me. I also have a bad habit of changing my mind mid stream. I already bought a 8.5" end and sold it again. I'm trying to plan everything out and then think about it for a bit. I've been way too spontaneous in the past and it cost me a lot more money re-doing things. I guess the front control arms were kind of that way too, but I think that was ok...

tdvick

Master Mechanic
Jun 25, 2010
Elk River, Mn.
Well, got a portion of the drivetrain done. The 12 bolt housing was a '70 Chevelle part, shortened to use '67 axles. I removed the Chevelle brackets and used Moser G-Body brackets. I also ordered UMI 12 bolt swap control arms. I had big Ford housing ends installed so C-clips would not be needed, now bolt in axles. I went with 3.73 gears and an Eaton posi. I really beat myself up over brakes. After all was done, there are Strange street series discs with 4 piston calipers on it. Also went with Strange axles and 1/2" x 3" wheel studs. Hopefully it's pretty bullet proof.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    87.8 KB · Views: 1,072
  • image-01.jpeg
    image-01.jpeg
    109.8 KB · Views: 1,070

tdvick

Master Mechanic
Jun 25, 2010
Elk River, Mn.
Yeah, it's gonna be a street/strip deal, with heavy emphasis on the strip!

I was really happy with how the rear turned out. I hope it works as good as it looks. Now I need to decide on the rest of the suspension components, springs, shocks, etc...

tdvick

Master Mechanic
Jun 25, 2010
Elk River, Mn.
Wow,

Things were moving along really well for a couple months there, and then pretty much stalled out. Anyway, I was pretty happy with myself this weekend. I finally got the rear end mounted into the car. Still got a long way to go here...

Attachments

• rear.JPG
    rear.JPG
    139.9 KB · Views: 949

Ferret

Apprentice
Aug 31, 2012
Luxembourg
tdvick, you got my respekt sir ^^ I did such a tear down and rebuild on my lemans too a few years back :) it is a lot of work, a lot of money thrown in, but its worth it :D i'm looking forward for more pics/info on your project.

tdvick

Master Mechanic
Jun 25, 2010
Elk River, Mn.
I appreciate it. It's definitely not a money making deal. I just really like the car... I tinkered on the front end a little more last night.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 852

tdvick

Master Mechanic
Jun 25, 2010
Elk River, Mn.
Well, I finally got off the pot and started gathering parts again for this project. I ended up taking the plunge and got a set of Mad Dog's 2" round port headers. I had them coated in 2000 degree satin black. They're still in sealed bags from the coater so pics aren't too great. I also picked up a set of solid body mounts and a manual brake adapter plate from TNT.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 656
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 654
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 666
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 646
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor