'80 Lemans Tear Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdvick

Master Mechanic
Jun 25, 2010
Elk River, Mn.
Not much progress to report. The shortblock is still at the machine shop waiting to be assembled. I actually just called a blasting shop today. I should be dropping the shell off next week to get blasted. I'm trying to work out a deal to get the "surgery" done on the roof to remove the vinyl roof mess. The vinyl will not be going back onto the car.

kad5118

Greasemonkey
Apr 5, 2010
yea i wanted to do the exact same thing with my vinyl roof top.

tdvick

Master Mechanic
Jun 25, 2010
Elk River, Mn.
Still moving along slowly. The shell is blasted. No nightmares hiding anywhere. Just a little filler in the driver's quarter and one small rust hole in the driver's inner wheel well. Primer and and the hopefully roof work/landau removal are next...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 504
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 530
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 513
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 544
Reactions: 1 users

tdvick

Master Mechanic
Jun 25, 2010
Elk River, Mn.
Wow, it looks like almost exactly a year since I posted any progress. That doesn't mean nothing had been getting done, just nothing too exciting to talk about. I have been able to make a little progress on the hardtop conversion with some help from a friend. The big step forward was picking up the completed motor yesterday! It still needs to be spun in the dyno, so no results to post yet, but at least it's complete and back in my garage...
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Reactions: 4 users

tdvick

Master Mechanic
Jun 25, 2010
Elk River, Mn.
The skins stay on. You have to drill out the spot welds on each end, then cut the crash bars into a couple pieces to get them to come out through the openings in the back side of the door. You'll have to weld the holes shut from where the spot welds were drilled out.

tdvick

Master Mechanic
Jun 25, 2010
Elk River, Mn.
Here's a pic of what came out of the doors.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

tdvick

Master Mechanic
Jun 25, 2010
Elk River, Mn.
Finally, after another very long delay, made a little progress toward being able to get the body shell back on the frame. Used some of my questionable methods but got most of the underside coated with POR. Just a little bit of the bottom left and the shell can get set back on the frame. Feels very good to be close to having something go back together instead of more things coming apart...
IMG_2110.JPG IMG_2109.JPG

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor