80 malibu fuel sending unit trouble shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

84delta

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 12, 2021
I know this has been discussed a bunch but I keep seeing conflicting answers. My fuel guage normally keyed on sits at the 3 o'clock position. If I unplug the sending wire going to the guage and ground it, it sweeps to empty. If I try to get an ohm reading from the signal wire from the tank un plugged from the connection up to the guage I can't even get a reading on it, not zero ohms not 2k but as if I don't have the leads to the meter on anything or possibly going past the 2k threshold. Safe assumption the sending unit is dead?

84delta

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 12, 2021
Pretty sure factory is 0-90 Ohm
Correct. It is. But if I ohm out the wire coming from the sending unit I just get nothing like I'm not on a wire or its past the 2k threshold of my meter. I'm just more curious if grounding out the wire to the guage and getting it to sweet shows the problem is the sending unit.

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
If it goes to empty when you ground the pink wire it is likely the sending unit.

If you have a 90 ohm resistor or something close put it between the pink wire and ground to see if it will read full. I found an 82 ohm resistor and it read just below full.

If it reads E grounded and close to F with the 90 ohm resistor you know the gauge and wiring are ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor