79 Malibu wagon fuel line

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
I cringe every time I hit a pothole in my 97 daily driver dodge because that same rear crossmember in mine looks like it could break in half of you sneezed on it. That looks great though. Do you have a thread anywhere on here about that old ford?
No. Probably should. Just figured, meh it’s a ford. Been slowly getting it done for my sister.

Reactions: 1 user

Mighty

Greasemonkey
Oct 22, 2022
DB08026C-4343-4754-A5AB-090F3CFBBFED.jpeg
E1DC85AE-33D6-4D34-BC31-F253C403F39E.png

I spent about 3.5 hours painting the frame from the front wheels back. The second picture is me laying on the ground looking up at the bottom side of the spring tower. I’m not going to the shop tonight and the fella I bought the paint off of said to do a second coat after the first one cutes so I’ll do that Thursday night then rattle can it black after it drys. Just added on a couple more days to the process. Anyone have any tips for doing the inside of the frame where it’s “boxed” or that very end of the frame rails where it’s square? I figured I’m not going to be able to do much about those areas. I did the inside of the frame rails as best as I could but I’m sure the inside/top part of the C channel has some bare spots. Overall the frame is in really good shape and will only see a couple hundred miles a year (assuming it ever runs again…..) no rain or snow so I might just oil spray it on the inside every fall and call it good enough??? I’m open to tips. I’m going to do the entire frame Thursday but the front section is still in really good shape and has paint on it from 1999 when we originally did the car and cleaned/painted that portion

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

Mighty

Greasemonkey
Oct 22, 2022
8A525866-DA8B-492C-ABAA-34DA4C30483A.jpeg
4ADBB064-BE7E-4EC2-81F0-ADA81982EBAC.jpeg
63525BC3-5E83-43EE-91EE-316C4FFA8F58.jpeg

Bumping this back up. Frames painted and I’m going to start putting it back together now. I started messing with the new fuel line but ran into issues. I wanted to run this by you guys to see if anyone has had similar issues at the front where the line passes through the frame. Ive included some pictures of the new line next to the original line but the lighting could be better. The original line where it runs through the frame is pretty straight. The new line that I bought for a Malibu has all kinds of bends in it in that section. The last picture is the very front of the line where it has a sharp bend which is causing all of the problems running it through the frame and out of the little hole in front of the control arm area. The rest of the line and bends all match up pretty well. Has anyone run into this before? I started searching online to try to find pictures to compare to mine. I got on the mikes Monte website and they had fuel lines but it sounds like they get them from the same place that I got mine. I just wanted to know if this is normal? I could try straightening it out myself but I’m worried about cracking or pinching it. The company I got it from is called the right stuff. I was almost considering running the new and old line back over to them to see if they would straighten the new line out incase something does come up. I’m going to do some searching from previous posts about this too.

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
They may have added the bends for possible better fit? I have been lucky not to have to replace mine, but it makes some sense to it. Have you set it just on top of the frame to see if it fallows it? The end looked to aim more towards the fuel pump. Frame is looking great!

Mighty

Greasemonkey
Oct 22, 2022
Thanks, I actually took the old and new line back to the right stuff and they said they’ll fix it up and have it ready today. I won’t be able to get it until tomorrow though. I had to help my brother try to diagnose a slight vibration on a friends 92 s10 that he did a frame off restoration on last night so I didnt get much done on the wagon. I had some kroil soaking on the 4 broken body bolts from Monday night. Torched the 2 briefly that were right below the firewall (one on each side) and grabbed them with vice grips and they broke free. Got those out, then I had one brake flush with cage nut in the back of the car. Not the very back bolt but the one just before. I might try to carefully drill it if I can keep everything from spinning tomorrow night.

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
Thanks, I actually took the old and new line back to the right stuff and they said they’ll fix it up and have it ready today. I won’t be able to get it until tomorrow though. I had to help my brother try to diagnose a slight vibration on a friends 92 s10 that he did a frame off restoration on last night so I didnt get much done on the wagon. I had some kroil soaking on the 4 broken body bolts from Monday night. Torched the 2 briefly that were right below the firewall (one on each side) and grabbed them with vice grips and they broke free. Got those out, then I had one brake flush with cage nut in the back of the car. Not the very back bolt but the one just before. I might try to carefully drill it if I can keep everything from spinning tomorrow night.
There is always just one to give you grief!

• Agree

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
So originally, the access holes to those body bolts behind the axle had plastic plugs in them. Often( almost always) those plugs fall out. When the ones right behind the axle fall out they’re exposed to the spray from the wheels anytime there’s rain or snow or mud on the road.

• Agree

Mighty

Greasemonkey
Oct 22, 2022
I was curious about that because both of those bolts, one on each side of the frame, same location were almost rotted away to nothing. Assuming I can get the last bolt out in a timely manner tomorrow evening, I’d like to get the new fuel line secured, and at least get the rearend back in place. I have copper brake line available but I don’t know if I trust myself enough yet to flair the ends. If my brother will guide me through that I could almost put the new bushings in place and get ready to lower the body back down.

Mighty

Greasemonkey
Oct 22, 2022
03ECFD6A-D0E2-4954-AC17-834F1D19107F.jpeg
8E9A3D31-7E9F-486D-9B0A-F037489470DE.jpeg
88B93BD2-DA05-4DA6-8F84-9842BBAD2ED1.jpeg
27511D48-E52F-4FC8-A59D-E5049BB3D52C.jpeg

Figured I’d bump this up. New fuel line is on. I had about $60 worth of primer left over after I did the frame so I started sanding on the under side of the body and that spiraled out of control. Primered it, then painted it black. I don’t know anything about body work but a lot of the loose paint and surface rust came off and left some fairly clean metal. I just got done taking the old brake lines off the rearend, and taking the bellhousing and clutch out. Hopefully I’ll get the new clutch plate for the super t10 tomorrow or Thursday.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor