79 Malibu wagon fuel line

Mighty

Greasemonkey
Oct 22, 2022
Awesome thank you! I’ve actually been going to some local junk yards over the last 2 months looking for interior pieces that I need. As I stated, I have 2 97’s and my daily driver has 300k miles and a frame with a patched rust hole in it. I’m slowing putting the “new” one back together and when my daily driver finally kicks the bucket I’ll use it as a parts truck. I’ve always mostly been a GM fan but I bought my first 97 off of a couple in their 70’s that I baled straw for with 160k miles and it was in immaculate shape. I happily paid them the $5k they wanted for it. They always had it parked inside of a barn. That was about 10-12 years ago. Then I got it and drove it through all of the Ohio winters and being younger I didn’t give a crap about upkeep. Now it’s like every other dodge out there, a big rust bucket BUT…..the drivetrain has been dead nuts reliable after 25 years and 300k miles. I love the thing. I use my Duramax for any of the random towing I do which isn’t much. I’m sure if I used the dodge it would’ve needed a transmission or 4 by now.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 user

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
Awesome thank you! I’ve actually been going to some local junk yards over the last 2 months looking for interior pieces that I need. As I stated, I have 2 97’s and my daily driver has 300k miles and a frame with a patched rust hole in it. I’m slowing putting the “new” one back together and when my daily driver finally kicks the bucket I’ll use it as a parts truck. I’ve always mostly been a GM fan but I bought my first 97 off of a couple in their 70’s that I baled straw for with 160k miles and it was in immaculate shape. I happily paid them the $5k they wanted for it. They always had it parked inside of a barn. That was about 10-12 years ago. Then I got it and drove it through all of the Ohio winters and being younger I didn’t give a crap about upkeep. Now it’s like every other dodge out there, a big rust bucket BUT…..the drivetrain has been dead nuts reliable after 25 years and 300k miles. I love the thing. I use my Duramax for any of the random towing I do which isn’t much. I’m sure if I used the dodge it would’ve needed a transmission or 4 by now.
Hard call on their transmissions. Some hold up better than you’d expect.

Mighty

Greasemonkey
Oct 22, 2022
Oh I agree, my daily driver still has the original trans in it (knock on wood). The previous owners towed a double horse trailer to Texas and back a handful of times with it. They had a number Chevrolet half tons for farm work though.

Mighty

Greasemonkey
Oct 22, 2022
669B45BB-E891-4CF7-928A-512F68B92CB9.jpeg
0382CF10-82A8-4B0E-99FF-222452BE1BFD.jpeg
1967D282-ABB6-4DC4-9A7A-8FC0609EE21D.jpeg

I pushed the frame outside, power washed it, sprayed degreaser on it, scrubbed it, then power washed it again. Then I put a wire wheel on my drill and just started going over it. I’ve got zero idea what I’m doing or how I’m going to get up in all the tight spaces but I’ll tell you one thing, that factory fuel line came right out of there once I took the last clamp bolt out of it that I couldn’t see that was in between the body and frame!

Reactions: 2 users

Mighty

Greasemonkey
Oct 22, 2022
C5C4EEE4-4C28-49DD-9E9C-9B4F026FA3F4.jpeg

Anyone ever seen one of the bushing locations rot like this? I’m assuming it rusted away at least? How big of an issue is this going to be? Also, is my car the only one with super sloppy welds on the frame from the factory or has anyone else ever seen that?

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
View attachment 220279
Anyone ever seen one of the bushing locations rot like this? I’m assuming it rusted away at least? How big of an issue is this going to be? Also, is my car the only one with super sloppy welds on the frame from the factory or has anyone else ever seen that?
Normal on the rust I’ve seen a large washer welded in to fix them or use a hole saw/drill bit and make your own “washer “. The welds are not uncommon as well. May have been built on a Monday or Friday? I’ve been told of back in the day a guy wanted his car built Tuesday,Wednesday, or Thursday because Monday they were recovering from the weekend and Friday they were caring only for the weekend!

Mighty

Greasemonkey
Oct 22, 2022
Thanks for the info ugly, a big washer was my first thought.

Mighty

Greasemonkey
Oct 22, 2022
7183D791-ADEE-4BC7-A2CC-BF1FAD758443.jpeg
DBF4F551-9BE7-404A-90F3-0C932A405FAE.jpeg

Well this is where I’m at now…. Took the rear end out tonight so I could get the wire brush up inside the spring towers really good. Removed the evap like that was cut, the emergency brake cable that was also cut, and just cut out a couple feet of brake line so add that to the list of things to replace. Also, this is the paint I was recommended to use. Don’t know anything about it but it was $75. I also don’t know anything about metal work/prep but no matter what I just feel like I can’t get it clean enough. I’ve probably got 5 or so hours of running a drill with a wire brush up and down that thing. I hope to start painting tomorrow

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
Used an air chisel and wire brush for the frame I’m doing with that rust converter. Seems to be doing as advertised. Before
70493257740__EA9D995B-AC13-4E5F-8795-E6FBF85B622D.jpeg

After
IMG_4251.jpeg

Did at minimum two coats. Have to wait 48 hrs before using an “quality oil base paint “. Hope yours comes out good!! Looks like it’s good stuff!

Mighty

Greasemonkey
Oct 22, 2022
I cringe every time I hit a pothole in my 97 daily driver dodge because that same rear crossmember in mine looks like it could break in half of you sneezed on it. That looks great though. Do you have a thread anywhere on here about that old ford?

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor