BUILD THREAD 81 Buick/Olds Turbo Wagon 02/15/2024 More Parts!

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Re: 81 Century/GN Wagon More Parts, More Pics! Update 4/3/14

Blake442 said:
Jim,
The more I think about the clips for the 1/4 glass trim, the more I seem to recall they're the same as the windshield clips...

Blake, I have a box of the windshield ones I bought when I got the new windshield put in. I'll have to try them out. What I will do is bend a small piece of metal, and weld the rivet to it. Then lay it on the glass and see if it is big/small enough. I have to do this anyway t be sure the studwelder has the right clearance.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis

I just checked my crash book and of course it doesn't list any clips... :roll:

Most of the windshield clips on my wagon are pretty buried in urethane, but I'll see if I can dig one out tomorrow and compare it to the clips I have for the 1/4 glass.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl

Jim,
My old crash book has no mention of clips as well.
I have noticed that I had the same size clips around my 1/4 window windows, but they seem like a tight fit back there. Some fit okay and some are on the tight side.

Did you have the windshield installed without installing the clips and trim?

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero

Thanks guys. Jack, I installed new clips on the rivets when I had the glass put in. The trim I left off.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl

Jim,
My concern was the trim depth. I'm wondering if it's commonplace to add the clips and molding shortly after the glass is laid in, in order to achieve proper seating of the molding.
Again, it would be a concern with the quarter windows. There seemed to be a fairly thick bead of urethane and/ or rubber gasket material.
What did you find when you removed the quarter glass?

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero

Longroof79 said:
Jim,
My concern was the trim depth. I'm wondering if it's commonplace to add the clips and molding shortly after the glass is laid in, in order to achieve proper seating of the molding.
Again, it would be a concern with the quarter windows. There seemed to be a fairly thick bead of urethane and/ or rubber gasket material.
What did you find when you removed the quarter glass?

I am not sure how they do it all the time now. I was under the understanding that the clips were put in before the adhesive. When I took out the quarter windows, there was a 3/8" (I think) ribbon adhesive holding in the glass. I'll sink the rivets in there so the clips are tight to the window flange, that should be enough.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis

So I was just comparing the windshield and 1/4 glass clips, and they are indeed different...

Honestly, I think they'd work just fine but there are a couple things worth mentioning.
First of all, the 1/4 clips are wider overall than the windshield clips, though this has no effect on the functionality of the clip
And second, the distance between the edge and where the clip physically grabs the molding is wider by a mere 1/16th of an inch on the windshield clips. I assume this is to accommodate the thicker glass...

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero

Blake, thanks for the info. I think like you guys said, I think I can use the windshield clips.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero

Nothing real new. I picked up a small fiberglass 4'x7' enclosed trailer to store the body panels while the wagon is on the rotisserie. I am filled to the max with sh*t, so I need some more room where I could put the already blasted in slicksand doors, my headliner, hood, etc.

I started on the hood hinges again, I have one that is welded up, holes filled and smoothed, just ready for epoxy and paint. I have to do the passenger side yet.

Welded up and smoothed, I pulled the hood side strut pivot to the inside (toward the engine) a little bit for clearance to the fender when the hood is closed.

evapu3yn.jpg

Hood hinge still needs to have holes welded up.

uhege6a3.jpg

I also just bought a Dutt neck for the factory stock location intercooler (SLIC). Brand new.

Attachments

• IMG_20140416_125834_610.jpg
    IMG_20140416_125834_610.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 600

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Re: 81 Century/GN Wagon More Parts, More Pics! Update 4/17/1

That's sweet, Jim.
I'm really liking the hood strut idea.
I know what you mean about lacking space to store sh*t. :?

I was looking at my trim clips this AM. The new replacements that I picked up were the larger out of the two sizes available, but I just noticed that they're slightly smaller than the original GM clips which were around the 1/4 windows...and maybe the windshield.
They're going get used regardless. As long as they hold the trim on.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor