BUILD THREAD 81 Buick/Olds Turbo Wagon 02/15/2024 More Parts!

ITh4n4tosI

Greasemonkey
Nov 23, 2013
Re: 81 Century/GN Wagon More Parts, More Pics! Update 4/3/14

Whats that combination/proportioning valve kit do? Is it a factory replacement or like an adjustable one?

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero

The valve will replace the factory one. It has the brake light switch in it, and allows the rear brake bias to be adjusted.

An update for today, I got the hood hinges with gas struts installed. I have some more modifications to do to them, but they work great.

I had to put a slice in the hood side of the hinge to bend it since the fiberglass is thicker than the steel hood and it was not allowing the hinge to bolt flat to the hood. I also ground it down some ad you can see in the comparison pics below.

ajeda6eh.jpg

Then I had to grind all the excess metal from around the hinge pin for clearance when the hood opens.

5a8udu9a.jpg

I ground along the blue line for more clearance.

pyvanabe.jpg

Trial fit, it works great.

y7ehare7.jpg

nydahuje.jpg

9eheba5a.jpg

rubeva9a.jpg

I will weld the bracket that is holding the hood side ball stud to the hinge, the fill up the unused holes.

Now off to see Captain America. :D

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl

Jim,
I'm diggin' the hood and single headlight Olds header panel...and using struts rather than springs. I guess the springs would cause too much stress to the fiberglass hood.
That's a real clean setup.

Are you going to fill the emblem holes on the header panel?

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero

Thanks guys. Jack, I am leaning to wards filling both emblem holes.

I will finish up the hinges on a rainy day. I have a few unused holes to fill, and I will TIG the ball stud bracket to the hinge. I also cut off unused taps off the hinges. When i get them done, I have a stock hinge I can use as a comparison

L.A.X-RATED

Royal Smart Person
Aug 25, 2010

:shock: looking great!

skulledmonte84

Master Mechanic
Feb 7, 2014
near Clearfield pa

cool idea with then hinges,did you use the original mounting holes in the hood ?

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero

L.A.X-RATED said:
:shock: looking great!

Thanks!

skulledmonte84 said:
cool idea with then hinges,did you use the original mounting holes in the hood ?

I cannot claim the idea, :( , it is so simple I kick myself in the *ss for not thinking of it sooner, lol. There is a thread on maliburacing where I got the info for the parts and all from. To answer your question, yes, I used the original holes in the hood and fenders. Though the hinges in stock form did not really fir the hood so well.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis

Jim,
The more I think about the clips for the 1/4 glass trim, the more I seem to recall they're the same as the windshield clips...

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl

Blake442 said:
Jim,
The more I think about the clips for the 1/4 glass trim, the more I seem to recall they're the same as the windshield clips...
That's good to know, Blake...because I just have one size for all...the slightly larger out of the two.
Thanks man!

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor