BUILD THREAD 81 Buick/Olds Turbo Wagon 02/15/2024 More Parts!

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Re: 81 Century/GN Wagon Update 6/2/14 Frame notch and paint!

I have been blasting and soaking the front control arms in rust solution, trying to get every last bit of rust off them. I hope to have them painted either Friday night or on Saturday, depending on the weather. I have also been cleaning bolts, brackets, motor mounts, etc, to get them ready for paint.

I also have to spot blast, scuff, and paint the rear.

I have mounted the steering box, idler arm, center link and tie rod assemblies in the interim.

apu9eru7.jpg

ju8abyve.jpg

Here are my new stainless coolant lines, along with the old.

9ura3abu.jpg

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl

Jim,
It looks like it's getting closer to being put back on it's wheels...looking good, man. 8)

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis

Lookin' good Jim!

Once I pull the front clip off my car I'll be replacing the springs, bushings, ball joints and steering too... ugh...
Mine won't look half as nice as yours though... Let's just say I'll be taking some short-cuts! :lol:

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV

Man, I just came across this thread(subscribed now). Your car is awesome. You are doing some wild modifications. Keep it coming. :D

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero

Longroof79 said:
Jim,
It looks like it's getting closer to being put back on it's wheels...looking good, man. 8)
Thanks Jack, I am pushing hard to get it rolling again so I can get to the body!

Blake442 said:
Lookin' good Jim!

Once I pull the front clip off my car I'll be replacing the springs, bushings, ball joints and steering too... ugh...
Mine won't look half as nice as yours though... Let's just say I'll be taking some short-cuts! :lol:

Blake, this is the third wagon, and have had it for 5 years, I am going all the way! Thanks!

crucial118 said:
Man, I just came across this thread(subscribed now). Your car is awesome. You are doing some wild modifications. Keep it coming. :D

I appreciate it! If you are in MD, you never know, you my see it and can get a closer look.

I have blasted the frame pads for the engine, the front control arms again! and some other misc. sh*t. then I have allot of it etch primed and painted. Gt wrapped up in working and having some frosty beverages, so I forgot to take pics :lol:

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero

Quick update, date the front control arms dipped, blasted and painted. I also got a few small things in paint. It has been raining for 3 days strait, so I haven't gotten much done.

adazabe9.jpg

aqequ6yz.jpg

8ura8yne.jpg

upemy7ud.jpg

aqumu9ag.jpg

a8a3y8uj.jpg

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary

Woohoo, Proforged ball joints! Stock control arms...what height did you choose? Did you get them for the uppers as well?
After all that work, don't drip any brake fluid on your new paint. Been there, done that, lot of work to repaint under the spring...

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero

I have 1/2" taller uppers and lowers. Using MOOG problem solver bushings, offset upper cross shafts. The paint should be good, it is a high build (5mil dry film) industrial coating. Resistant to oils, chemicals, etc. The data sheet for it looks promising.

Today I am working in painting the rear, and other odds and ends to get the chassis rolling tomorrow.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl

Sexy red control arms... 8)

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan

Very nice progress!

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor