BUILD THREAD 81 Buick/Olds Turbo Wagon 02/15/2024 More Parts!

Ringers

Greasemonkey
Dec 7, 2011
Re: 81 Century/GN Wagon build-up 56K beware! update 1/13/12

Awesome thread! Glad I stumbled on it!

KrisW

G-Body Guru
Oct 24, 2007
Lakeland, FL

Subscribed>

I really want to see this wagon on the road. Great job; you've certainly got talent!

I can't wait to see the finished product.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero

I can't wait to get it on the road either!! I did a bit of work today, mostly replacing old cracked seam sealer on the quarter panel I just repaired. I also had to hammer strait the spare tire well, and re-applied the undercoating. I also coated the inside of the quarter panel. I have some pics I'll be uploading soon so stay tuned! :mrgreen:

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl

Glad to see you getting back into it, Jim.
I posted a question for you on Ben's '79 Cutlass Cruiser build thread. It was about the rear Blazer swaybar.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero

No problem, I posted an answer there. But I can tell you I had a 67-9 f-body, and a 3rd gen f-body bar, and they both were a bit wide for my taste at the ends. The 98-02 S-blazer fit nicer in there, though my nine inch made it tough because the pumpkin is bigger. It'll be a while before I get some pics. I have the rear in the car now, but I'll be pulling it to paint it all up.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl

Yeah, I forgot that you were bolting the 9" in there. The swaybar will fit the 9" pumpkin, or is there mods involved?

khan0165

Royal Smart Person
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada

to liquidh8 and SRD art

what are the odds of two wagon projects at this scale happening side by side with similar build plans in mind! The level of workmanship is professional grade, and creativity overwhelming! :notworthy: And I'm so impressed with the level of write-ups for the thread itself... You guys display information in such a concise and coherent manner, and have a way of describing tricky work in a way anyone can understand! You guys are one of the perfect examples for this board.

I may not post much, and often times it's because my dumb comment "awesome work guys" is just not enough to capsulate how impressed I am with what you guys are doing
:popcorn: but I definitely stay tuned to every post!

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero

Longroof79 said:
Yeah, I forgot that you were bolting the 9" in there. The swaybar will fit the 9" pumpkin, or is there mods involved?
The only mods really were to make the sway bar stand off the axle tubes a bit more, since the curved part, over the pumpkin, would hit the pumkin. I'll have some pics soon of it.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero

khan0165 said:
to liquidh8 and SRD art

what are the odds of two wagon projects at this scale happening side by side with similar build plans in mind! The level of workmanship is professional grade, and creativity overwhelming! :notworthy: And I'm so impressed with the level of write-ups for the thread itself... You guys display information in such a concise and coherent manner, and have a way of describing tricky work in a way anyone can understand! You guys are one of the perfect examples for this board.

I may not post much, and often times it's because my dumb comment "awesome work guys" is just not enough to capsulate how impressed I am with what you guys are doing
:popcorn: but I definitely stay tuned to every post!

Thank you sir. SRD ART IS DOING A FANTASTIC JOB. I had my Black 83 wagon 15 years, and sold it after restoring it. Then it was my 79 malibu, while beater looking, alot of the things I did were for real world testing. Now I am incorporating what I learned worked and didn't, and putting them in this wagon. Though I must say I may borrow a few ideas from SRD art as far as some of the bracing. :D

Again, thank you for the comments. I also have more pics and stuff on the car domain page.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero

Ok, finally a few more pictures. Just to recap what I have done. I stripped all the paint off the quarter panel, and the old seam sealer and lead. I had to patch the bottom of the quarter panel before and after the wheel well. I also trimmed, rolled, re-welded, and seam sealed the wheel well lip. Everything is TIG welded where I can get the torch, and it is all seam welded, no gaps. Evercoat Metal to Metal is used over the welds as the first coat of filler, then rage gold to finish. I wish i took a few more pictures, but sometimes I forget. All the factory seames have been redone in new seam sealer, and some they didn't do. I undercoated inside the quarter for protection.

now some pics.

15643416_large.jpg

15643415_large.jpg

15643386_large.jpg

This is the lower front of the right quarter. the rot isn't all the way thru, but it is bad, so I cut it out and fabbed a new patch.
15519017_large.jpg

All cut out.
15643296_large.jpg

Patch getting made. This patch had a curve in every direction. So, I had to make it in three pieces, and I TIG welded it all together.
15643300_large.jpg

The lower rear cut out, though I didn't take any pictures of the light cut out, which I did.
15643412_large.jpg

15643414_large.jpg

Here is the patch panel getting laid out.
15643411_large.jpg

Here is the opening coated in bloxide. I used Bloxide everywhere the was hidden and bare metal and getting welded.
15643292_large.jpg

Here are a few after TIG welding and grinding smooth
15643383_large.jpg

15643384_large.jpg

The rear pillar after a coat of Metal to Metal to cover the factory seam
15643304_large.jpg

The the first coat of epoxy primer. I have to spray a few coats of slicksand but I'll be waiting for warmer weather
15643294_large.jpg

15643303_large.jpg

15643302_large.jpg

15643301_large.jpg

I had to hammer strait the spare tire well, and re undercoat it. It had it from the factory. I also re seam sealed all behind the quarter, the undercoated back there too, for protection and sound deadening.
15643399_large.jpg

15643400_large.jpg

I have to snap a few more pics, but I just wanted to update the thread.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor