81 Cutlass build thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Got a little bit done. Wired up most of the car, wraped up the motor, build some brackets for the electric fan, ran all the hoses, and a ton of other little stuff.

Starting to look like something again.

picture-1009.jpg

picture-1006.jpg

picture-1008.jpg

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
Nice build, can you post some info on your fueling solutions, how you're fueling it what carb/pump etc

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Pump is a stock replacement turbo spec pump. Puts out a bit more than a NA v6 one. Filter is an external one so I dont have to worry about replacing the one in the carb, and a little work is in the carb. Stock 80 turbo Qjet. Ive opened up the secondary air valves and loosened the tension screw, drilled in some extra feed holes into the secondary power tubes, and some other little stuff.

Might not be able to support what Ive got planned, sooner or later I will put a holley on and run E85 and then really turn up the boost. Might have to loose the hood though! :shock:

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
You might look at my pics for some ideas as I used the same hood and scoop and made it functional. No turbo but it may be worth some ideas.

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
nice work. diggin' the fans!

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
3XBrownCutty said:
nice work. diggin' the fans!

Just a set of a 98 Intrepid. Build some 16 1/4" long strips that go from the bottom of the core support to the top rad plate and then bolted 4 3/4" brackets to the strips and then rivited the brakets to the fan. It looks nice and is way better than my old unknown fans that I ran for the first 2 years.

Now I just hope my radiator I have not doesnt leak bad! First rad I had in the car I pulled out of the back seat of the car when I bought it. I think it was a 3rd gen F body one. Car never overheated except once when I just heat soaked the starter ran to 205 or so. Havn't been able to do it again. Now this radiator is a stock 307 brass one out of either my 84 parts car or 85 salon, until I decide on what I am going to do. Might just buy a 3rd gen F body replacement as the one I have has the heater hose barb.

Plus it doesnt make much sense to have an aluminum core support, aluminum front bumper, a light V6, and a brass radiator.

I wish it would warm up. Theres close to 70 inches of snow this year so far, theres not much more room to put it! And besides one week it hasnt got above 32 since mid November. :roll:

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel here in PA. sunny during the day so at least the roads are dry. hope things look up for you guys too.

I dont think you'll have a problem at all with the new fan/rad setup. I have a stock 307 rad and my fans set on thermostats ant I think it saw 180 at most all summer. with the v8 of course.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Broke the motor in today. Went good, only thing wrong was a blown fuse for the fans and a leaking trans cooler line fitting. Nice to have a motor that doesnt clack from a bent push rod.

Next step: Into the unknown, paint. :shock: Hoods sanded down only to reveal its full of bondo and oil canned, other hoods leading edge is bent. So I dont have a straight hood. Got about 2% of the sanding done.

Is that true you cant put base clear over old laquer?

picture-1011.jpg

picture-1012.jpg

picture-1013.jpg

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
81cutlass said:

Yes and no.

You can give it a shot, just make sure you use a good primer sealer on top of the old laquer.
However, it seems more often than not the basecoat will bite into the laquer too hard and cause it to lift.
You're better off playing it safe and stripping the old laquer off before applying a new finish...

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
Blake442 said:
81cutlass said:

Yes and no.

You can give it a shot, just make sure you use a good primer sealer on top of the old laquer.
However, it seems more often than not the basecoat will bite into the laquer too hard and cause it to lift.
You're better off playing it safe and stripping the old laquer off before applying a new finish...

Kind of a stupid question, and sorry for the hijack, but what if your new base/clear is still a laquer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor