81 Malibu project restarting

08Malibu

08Malibu

Master Mechanic
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
Snapped a pic of the car outside work today. I know she’s a bit rough but I’m still cruising her. I’m hoping to start on the quarter seams this week. I’ll have to pull the rear glass to do it so it’ll put a dent in my driving it.
2266DA0A-B091-4011-97CE-7EE6AA064274.png

08Malibu

08Malibu

Master Mechanic
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
I was hoping to be making some progress with the body but that’s not the case. Lately I’ve been going through and tightening up loose ends. I welded up the header where it was leaking and made it fit better on the driver's side. I didn’t realize the passenger side was rubbing so I’ll have to take care of that. I also replaced the gaskets. I adjusted the exhaust where it was rubbing in the rear.
I also fixed something that I thought was a major problem but turned out to be my fault. No matter what I did I couldn’t get the valve train quiet on the passenger side. I kept adjusting and still noisy. Finally I looked closer at the valve cover and saw that 2 rocker arms were rubbing on the cover. Turns out that I bought 2 of the same side valve cover at the swap meet. I flipped it and noise gone. It’s been like that since 2008. All this time I thought the engine was completely shot. I felt like such an *ss when I found it. Time for a carb rebuild and maybe valve seals. No rush for an engine swap right now.
I also picked up a 2nd gen f body console. I was going to use the cutlass one but I think I like the f body better. What do you guys think?
671C260D-EE02-470E-BA21-D30F7DDEB18D.jpeg
F1395440-0D13-432C-8CE0-4863F2269E37.jpeg

Streetbu

Streetbu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Hey we all make mistakes. Glad you found it and figured it out though. I'd go with the 2nd gen console personally.

08Malibu

08Malibu

Master Mechanic
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
I’m definitely going with the f body console. I can get a dual gate shift plate for it and there’s room for 2 cup holders. Only problem is there’s a cut out in it for the power window switch, so I’ll have to address that. So the cutlass console is going up for sale.

Reactions: O. D. Showtime
melloelky

melloelky

Royal Smart Person
Oct 22, 2017
mass
I’m definitely going with the f body console. I can get a dual gate shift plate for it and there’s room for 2 cup holders. Only problem is there’s a cut out in it for the power window switch, so I’ll have to address that. So the cutlass console is going up for sale.
a buddy of mine in high school ran the f-body in one of his car's,he reworked the switch hole to fit a coin tray/ashtray of some kind.it worked out.you're in and outta cars during the week I'm sure you'll see something on an interior get an idea off it.

08Malibu

08Malibu

Master Mechanic
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
a buddy of mine in high school ran the f-body in one of his car's,he reworked the switch hole to fit a coin tray/ashtray of some kind.it worked out.you're in and outta cars during the week I'm sure you'll see something on an interior get an idea off it.
I was thinking of the coin holder thing or maybe a spot to rest my phone.

Reactions: melloelky
O. D. Showtime

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
Just finished going through your thread...will be watching for updates. Car reminds me of the 81 my son and I built..

1XBaq0.jpg

Reactions: melloelky
08Malibu

08Malibu

Master Mechanic
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
Just finished going through your thread...will be watching for updates. Car reminds me of the 81 my son and I built..

View attachment 147907
Nice car. Right now the car is in a bit of a holding pattern. I’m enjoying just driving it so I’m really reluctant to do anything to it that will keep it down for even a little bit. My wife’s good friend’s mom has an all original fox body convertible that I may get. It’s been sitting for a bit so maybe I can get it running as a cruiser so I can tear into the Malibu a little deeper. I still want to do the Malibu as a rolling resto but right now I don’t even want the car down overnight.

Reactions: O. D. Showtime
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R 1978 Malibu Coupe, Vernon,Ct 06066 G-Body Cars for Sale / Trade 0
butch2427 my new project, 1981 Malibu 9C1 New Users 16
Ihlaan-J-Nova My Malibu Project New Users 4
Root MY 78 Malibu Project New Users 8
Davenz 82 Malibu Wagon in New Zealand G-Body Build Threads 23
Warren Connecting 1980 Malibu Engine Wire Harness Electrical / Ignition / Starting 2
C ISO a 1978-1981 Malibu 2 door G-Body Cars for Sale / Trade 1
Davenz Cheers For The Add - Just bought an 82 Malibu Wagon in Nz New Users 21
Lane S 430 CI Buick in a '78 Malibu sedan Engine / Swaps / Driveability 5
T Malibu interior New Users 7
P Need help decoding a 1981 Malibu body tag General Discussion 1
Warren Looking for 80 Malibu Landau Exterior Pillar Emblem Body / Trim / Paint / Glass 11
michmalibuman WANTED Malibu 9C1 speedo Wanted 18
JAMCAR223 Oh Noooo... Poor Malibu General Discussion 9
H 9C1 Malibu New Users 4
Warren New to GBODY Forum (1980 Chevy Malibu Classic 2 Dr Coupe v8) New Users 8
G 1980 Malibu classic landau chev SB 267 vacuum routing General Discussion 13
Grant Smith 1979 Malibu 6.0 T56 Magnum G-Body LS Swap 47
MariaMalibu Malibu Classic 1979 G-Body Build Threads 10
R Has Anyone Seen This Malibu??? General Discussion 0
08Malibu Malibu Tail light filler color Body / Trim / Paint / Glass 8
55Belairman 81 Malibu bumpers G-Body Parts For Sale / Trade 0
55Belairman 1981 Malibu parts for sale G-Body Parts For Sale / Trade 0
S Back Glass: 1978 Malibu A-Body Coupe (Non-Landau, Non-Vinyl Top) Body / Trim / Paint / Glass 2
Michael Bennett 80 Malibu Springs and Ride Height Wheels / Tires / Brakes 8
WanaBa442 '80 Malibu in Blue - Faysbook listing G-Body Cars for Sale / Trade 3
08Malibu MALIBU 81 Malibu sweep cluster , Navy G-Body Parts For Sale / Trade 1
R 1983 Malibu 9C1 New Users 5
M Buzzer chevy malibu 1979 Electrical / Ignition / Starting 4
442kid 1980's MONTE CARLO SS MALIBU EL CAMINO 200R4 SHIFTER CABLE & LINKAGE G-Body Parts For Sale / Trade 6
O 78 Malibu brake parts G-Body Parts For Sale / Trade 5
dickeymoore 1979 Malibu Landau G-Body Cars for Sale / Trade 0
39F Malibu hood on regal? Eh why not Body / Trim / Paint / Glass 8
Boglog 1980 Malibu Wagon resurrection G-Body Build Threads 37
D 1979 Malibu 9C1 2 Door G-Body Cars for Sale / Trade 4
83GWAGON 81' Malibu Factory v8 Transmission / Rear End / Driveline 20
Michael Bennett 15x8 Weld Draglites with 275/60/15 for '80 Malibu- 3.5 or 4.5" backspacing???? Wheels / Tires / Brakes 8
Reddzedd Malibu Wagon trunk gate? Body / Trim / Paint / Glass 5
blackbuck350 81 malibu wagon rear window weather seal General Discussion 19
D 81 malibu turbo 350 shift linkage Transmission / Rear End / Driveline 2
MalibuDavyou5 Malibu Starter Help. Electrical / Ignition / Starting 16
08Malibu MALIBU Monte SS cluster in Malibu Electrical / Ignition / Starting 9
83GWAGON MALIBU What's going on G-Body peeps? I recently bought an 83' Malibu CL Wagon. New Users 57
8 81 Malibu A/C system rebiuld Cooling / Heating / AC 3
Bruce Compton 1978 MALIBU G-Body Cars for Sale / Trade 2
B Malibu exhaust crossmember Exhaust 23
B Lowering the back of a Malibu Frame / Chassis / Suspension / Steering 20
gnvair Another odd ball 4 speed Malibu for sale (not mine) Chevrolet Monte Carlo / SS / Malibu 20
08Malibu Malibu Rocker Moldings-North Jersey G-Body Parts For Sale / Trade 3
Regalman08 FOR SALE More parts added 1981 Malibu classic 2door parts G-Body Parts For Sale / Trade 12