81 Malibu project restarting

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
Snapped a pic of the car outside work today. I know she’s a bit rough but I’m still cruising her. I’m hoping to start on the quarter seams this week. I’ll have to pull the rear glass to do it so it’ll put a dent in my driving it.
2266DA0A-B091-4011-97CE-7EE6AA064274.png

Reactions: 10 users

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
Started tearing down the 350 today and so far looks clean. No sludge and the backside if the valves look good. I found out that it’s drilled for a fuel pump pushrod too.

Reactions: 4 users

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
I was hoping to be making some progress with the body but that’s not the case. Lately I’ve been going through and tightening up loose ends. I welded up the header where it was leaking and made it fit better on the driver's side. I didn’t realize the passenger side was rubbing so I’ll have to take care of that. I also replaced the gaskets. I adjusted the exhaust where it was rubbing in the rear.
I also fixed something that I thought was a major problem but turned out to be my fault. No matter what I did I couldn’t get the valve train quiet on the passenger side. I kept adjusting and still noisy. Finally I looked closer at the valve cover and saw that 2 rocker arms were rubbing on the cover. Turns out that I bought 2 of the same side valve cover at the swap meet. I flipped it and noise gone. It’s been like that since 2008. All this time I thought the engine was completely shot. I felt like such an *ss when I found it. Time for a carb rebuild and maybe valve seals. No rush for an engine swap right now.
I also picked up a 2nd gen f body console. I was going to use the cutlass one but I think I like the f body better. What do you guys think?
671C260D-EE02-470E-BA21-D30F7DDEB18D.jpeg
F1395440-0D13-432C-8CE0-4863F2269E37.jpeg

Reactions: 4 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Hey we all make mistakes. Glad you found it and figured it out though. I'd go with the 2nd gen console personally.

Reactions: 1 users

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
I’m definitely going with the f body console. I can get a dual gate shift plate for it and there’s room for 2 cup holders. Only problem is there’s a cut out in it for the power window switch, so I’ll have to address that. So the cutlass console is going up for sale.

Reactions: 2 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
I’m definitely going with the f body console. I can get a dual gate shift plate for it and there’s room for 2 cup holders. Only problem is there’s a cut out in it for the power window switch, so I’ll have to address that. So the cutlass console is going up for sale.
a buddy of mine in high school ran the f-body in one of his car's,he reworked the switch hole to fit a coin tray/ashtray of some kind.it worked out.you're in and outta cars during the week I'm sure you'll see something on an interior get an idea off it.

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
a buddy of mine in high school ran the f-body in one of his car's,he reworked the switch hole to fit a coin tray/ashtray of some kind.it worked out.you're in and outta cars during the week I'm sure you'll see something on an interior get an idea off it.
I was thinking of the coin holder thing or maybe a spot to rest my phone.

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
Just finished going through your thread...will be watching for updates. Car reminds me of the 81 my son and I built..

1XBaq0.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
Just finished going through your thread...will be watching for updates. Car reminds me of the 81 my son and I built..

View attachment 147907
Nice car. Right now the car is in a bit of a holding pattern. I’m enjoying just driving it so I’m really reluctant to do anything to it that will keep it down for even a little bit. My wife’s good friend’s mom has an all original fox body convertible that I may get. It’s been sitting for a bit so maybe I can get it running as a cruiser so I can tear into the Malibu a little deeper. I still want to do the Malibu as a rolling resto but right now I don’t even want the car down overnight.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor