81 Oldsmopile ( G-body rust repair )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Thanks for the words of wisdom Rktpwrd. Now if i could find a dealer for SPI epoxy in Canada close by I think I will go that route. I only hear good things about that product on every forum I visit.
Depending on where exactly you live, you should be able to find something. It may not be from that exact manufacturer, but sometimes we can only do what we can do.
Any of the reputable manufacturers (Glasurit, PPG, Sherwin Williams etc) will have good quality epoxies that will do fine. I'm in Alberta and we have pretty strict policies regarding isocyanates and emissions etc here and I can still get stuff here. I'm using PPG products, and I really like it. It's good quality.

EME_Mack

Greasemonkey
Worked on the outer wheel house and trunk drop off, trying to get every thing ready for the quarter panel. Front lower piece gettin made.

IMG_2674.JPG

IMG_2679.JPG

The three small holes will be plug welded to the end of the rocker, not sure if its done from the factory or not. Checking the fitment with the back of the rocker.
IMG_2683.JPG
IMG_2682.JPG

IMG_2680.JPG

Continued on to the outer lip

IMG_2699.JPG
IMG_2701.JPG

And a final check with the quarter panel on

IMG_2706.JPG

Reactions: 1 user

soloone87

Greasemonkey
May 15, 2014
hollywood,fl
damn i thought i had it bad. i had the same issues minus the door jamb rot. i kinda half assed the repair (or at least i think i did now),,,,,, your car will definatly look clean with all that extra care

L.A.X-RATED

Royal Smart Person
Aug 25, 2010
strike another one up for our northern brothers!!!! ya'll need to have a 3-some:) bodyman---"eme mack",detail man---"rktpwrd",and the parts man---"odshowtime" GREAT dedication to the sport!!!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
What an amazing amount of structural and fabrication work. That's perseverance for you.
Keep up the great work. You'll certainly know what you have after you're done.

EME_Mack

Greasemonkey
Haha thanks L.A.X, I wouldn't really consider myself a bodyman but do enjoy it

Finished up the trunk drop off today. Had to reattach this little area first

IMG_2726.jpg

IMG_2727.jpg
IMG_2730.jpg

IMG_2731.jpg

The replacement quarter panel doesn't have a flange on the bottom like the factory would have so I added one

IMG_2724.jpg
IMG_2725.jpg

When I finish the quarter panel I'll weld the replacement to the old on top and then use a panel adhesive a long the bottom and around the wheel arch. I think it will be just as strong and the added benefit of the adhesive will protect against moisture and the harsh elements of the east coast.

Do any of you g-body experts out there know what this is. Im guessing some sort of emissions part, its behind the driver headlight.

IMG_2732.jpg

EME_Mack

Greasemonkey
So this week I got my box of epoxy and coated all of the work i had done. I really only needed to paint inside the rocker panel before I put it on but got a little excited and stripped the floors and sprayed them too.

IMG_2761.JPG

IMG_2763.JPG

IMG_2769.JPG
IMG_2771.JPG

The tech sheet said wait 7 days before sanding so ill probably wait that long before welding the rocker on just to be safe.

Also need to invest in a new gun the pos I had used only lasted this job.

Reactions: 1 user

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
That mystery part looks like a vacuum switch that was capped off. Is the round part on the front removable? I've seen something like that to lock up the torque converter on pre-computer cars and trucks. Why it's behind the headlight, though...

Amazing work. Unbelievable dedication to earning your own classic!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor