81 regal with floor shift shifter cable question

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCTyphoonKid

G-Body Guru
Mar 17, 2019
On my 81 Indy pace car, the shifter cable was broken when I bought it. Guy had it removed. I ordered a replacement from gbodyparts. The original cable and replacement cable match however I’m having some issues i believe I have all the clips in the correct place to hold the cable. If the shifter cable is removed I can shift through all the gears from park to 1st just fine. With the cable hooked up it goes from park to reverse and that’s it. Is there a adjustment on these? Just trying to figure out what my issue is. I did leave the nut loose where the shifter cable slides over and you put the retaining clip on on the transmission side but even with that loose I have no adjustment. I have attached a picture of the transmission side. I’m sure I’m missing something stupid that I’m overlooking.

Attachments

• 895523F3-362C-4CC6-9768-769860609FFB.jpeg
    895523F3-362C-4CC6-9768-769860609FFB.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 591

83StreetMachine

Master Mechanic
Dec 16, 2011
Central NJ
Did you make sure the trans was in park before hooking up the new cable?

By hand, under the car, put the car in park. Without the cable attached to the shifter inside the car.

Then climb inside and put the shifter in park and hook up the cable.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
And make sure the column back drive linkage is still adjusted so it's in park & not neutral on the column when the shifter is in park.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Sounds like the cable length is incorrect. Not sure, but it sure acts like it. Without it clipped up, the entire cable moves along with the sheath, and you should be able to put it just about anywhere.

What was the part number you got for your application?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
You got a rare car, get the right part. A GM part. GM part number 22500579. Quit mucking around with that aftermarket cable sh*t that usually never lines up. Even though they're discontinued from GM, there's a couple on ebay. I assume you have the MV9, TH200C, correct?

Ebay has one on sale right now for $38.60 for A body with free shipping, 200C transmission, and I'll bet you paid more than that from gbodyparts.com. Hell, I might even have one or two laying around here somewhere.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335822911&icep_item=302588835403

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

NCTyphoonKid

G-Body Guru
Mar 17, 2019
Did you make sure the trans was in park before hooking up the new cable?

By hand, under the car, put the car in park. Without the cable attached to the shifter inside the car.

Then climb inside and put the shifter in park and hook up the cable.

Yes I manually put the lever on the trans in park without the cable attached
You got a rare car, get the right part. A GM part. GM part number 22500579. Quit mucking around with that aftermarket cable sh*t that usually never lines up. Even though they're discontinued from GM, there's a couple on ebay. I assume you have the MV9, TH200C, correct?

Ebay has one on sale right now for $38.60 for A body with free shipping, 200C transmission, and I'll bet you paid more than that from gbodyparts.com. Hell, I might even have one or two laying around here somewhere.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335822911&icep_item=302588835403
yes i got the 200c the one i got from gbodyparts matches the original almost perfectly. Most cables I saw listed were 30” or 31” which is to long for my car. The original I think was 24 or 25” I’ll have to double check

Last edited:

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
yes that is the cable I got it matches the original almost perfectly. Most cables I saw listed were 30” or 31” which is to long for my car
Wait. You got a genuine GM cable from gbodyparts.com? Only thing I saw on their website was an aftermarket one. It sure doesn't look like a GM cable to me, but if you say so.

Then I got nothin'. Good luck. Over and out.

NCTyphoonKid

G-Body Guru
Mar 17, 2019
Wait. You got a genuine GM cable from gbodyparts.com? Only thing I saw on their website was an aftermarket one. It sure doesn't look like a GM cable to me, but if you say so.

Then I got nothin'. Good luck. Over and out.

No I meant that was the cable I got I don’t believe it is a genuine GM cable it doesn’t look like it to me. I will order that one in your eBay link maybe it will be exactly what I need since it’s a genuine gm one

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
It's free advice. It's your job to figure out if I'm full of crap or not and if that GM cable is actually what you need. According to the parts book, it fits MV9 TH200C transmissions with D55 console. The original number may have been 22500578, but the supersession book shows that 22500579 cable replaced it. It appears your adjustment nut on your trans selector lever is all the way forward but appeared to be mounted almost all the way back with your old cable. If they were exactly the same, then you probably shouldn't have had to move that adjustment very much if at all. Something's up with that cable if your old one was the factory style. So I would try to adjust it first before buying parts, but if you do find the cable is wrong, I'd go get that 579 cable if I were you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor