82 Old Nutless to not so Nutless

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pedrolif

Greasemonkey
Mar 28, 2016
New Hampshire
So the back story-

Pick up an 82 Olds Cutlass Supreme Brougham last summer/fall in good condition (for New Hampshire) for a little more then I should have, but still decent at 2k (most I've paid for a car yet).

The Good!
Most of the frame has been "treated"
G-Force crossmember installed
New suspension (nothing special from what I can tell)
Air shocks still in place (but sagging to the right)
"350" motor swap already completed! ...more on that in the bad...
Custom Flowmaster duel exhaust installed ...again more on that in the bad...
All the trim is there, either on the car, or... in the car.
15" Ralley Rims with trim rings.

The Bad~
"350" is a 305 and it burns oil, pretty sure 7 and 8 cylinder are just about dead
Turbo 250c! transmission that's well.... anyone want it? You pay shipping.
Needs a little body work, but what doesn't up here. It's still solid.
Interior is a mix of original burgundy, black sprayed mouling, and horrible (partially faded) blue crushed velvet
Some electrical issues to work out (windows work or they don't, passenger door open and the courtesy lights may or may not work, map light switch does not work unless you press in on it)
The "custom" exhaust is a hack job that has since been beat with a hammer and welded on one side and ... basically silly putty'd on the other, which will be fixed. But hey, grats on the 2 in 2 out muffler placement.
And... it's "bronze" which is kind of growing on me but could be better (flat black?)

What I've done so far-
Taken no pictures
Installed single din CD/Radio to get rid if the AM/FM that couldn't keep a station
Installed Edelbrock intake and Carb (the half hooked up Rochester just didn't work for me)
New gas tank, sending unit and filler neck to replace the tank that leaked if you got above the seam
New plugs and wires
Accel distributor with vacuum advance and Super Cap that my Pops had stashed away
"Fixed" for now the "custom" exhaust (I'm debating on replacing hack parts or duel Cherry Bombs)
Purchased a Turbo 350 transmission of Craigslist (uni-case and supposedly rebuilt but never run)
Purchased a legit 350 SBC (reman) from a coworker and started to refresh it with a cam for.. cam's sake.

There's more, but that's where I'm going to leave off for tonight. My coworker that I bought the 350SBC off of has pics of the motor build so far, so I'll post some of those and some pics of the Nutless in all it's bronze glory within a few days for you all to laugh at. I also need to do a follow up post with what we've done so far and the issues we ran into with the motor build, but more on that later. And by the way, Duplicolor Engine Enamel paint... with how the motor turned out, I like it so much I might just use it to paint the whole damn car.

Last edited:

Pedrolif

Greasemonkey
Mar 28, 2016
New Hampshire
Plans for the future? Of course put a mild cam 350sbc into it and that turbo 350 transmission that I hope is actually in good condition. Touch up the rust spots before they get too far (rear drivers quarter panel in the trunk, I'm looking at you), new trunk seal and door seals, fix interior somehow, and...
Ambitious customization of stealing the auto trunk pop and closer from my Lincoln. Add cornering lights. Maybe swap nose for a Monte. Disks in the rear would be nice, as well as better suspension and bracing. But... we'll see what I can afford. I still have a 300 to spend some time on. Poor Chrysler has sat for almost as long as I've owned her and she's not getting any better for sitting.

Garrett1982

G-Body Guru
May 18, 2014
Uniontown, Pa
Welcome to the site. Just throw your 250c up on craigslist. You would be suprised. Someone bought my th200 for a rat rod project along with the 3.8 v6.

Last edited:

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Plans for the future? ..
Ambitious customization: Maybe swap nose for a Monte.
I would highly recommend not pursuing this besides what I would consider ruining the look of a Cutlass the Monte front will not match any body lines on a Cutlass. There is a reason you don't see this swap it just doesn't work.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Garrett1982

G-Body Guru
May 18, 2014
Uniontown, Pa
image.jpeg
I would highly recommend not pursuing this besides what I would consider ruining the look of a Cutlass the Monte front will not match any body lines on a Cutlass. There is a reason you don't see this swap it just doesn't work.
The only time I have seen this done was on my buddy's hobby stock circle track car.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor