83' 307 olds out- sbc 350 in ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

83gcut

Apprentice
Nov 6, 2008
Houston,TX.
wuz up g-bodies? g-cut here just signed up today, i'm on my 3 rd oldsmobile cutlass with-in 12 yrs. or so ..... so my question is this i bought a sbc 350 with a th350 bolted on long tail.... what can i use off the 307 to power up and go in the 350 once its dropped in? do ya'll have any recomedations on what to retro fit(alternator,water pump, starter,etc....) to the 350 before i drop it in??? any body need a 307 olds motor with tanny..........

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
You also need to get a short tail trans.

83gcut

Apprentice
Nov 6, 2008
Houston,TX.
Uncletruck said:
There is not much you can use off the 307, definitely not the starter or water pump. The alternator will retrofit. Don't forget to put Chevy engine mounts in before attempting to drop the 350 in.

-UT-

so should i get a alternator bracket and new alternator or just the bracket and use the same olds alternator? and what kind of water pump should i get short or long? what would be a good performance rating alternator and starter? i guess the water pump should be a hi-flo....... thanks for the info

Uncletruck

Master Mechanic
Apr 22, 2007
Erie, PA
You are going to need SBC accessory brackets for any accessories you want to run, the Olds ones won't bolt up. This includes the alternator, steering pump, and A/C if you are using it. The alternator itself is interchangeable between the bracket styles provided you still want to run V belts and not go serpentine which is possible with a SBC. There are a lot of little things you are going to need to do the swap, like hoses, non computer distributor if your SBC doesn't have one, detent cable for the transmission to fit the carb you are going to use, the downpipe for the exhaust manifolds or whatever is needed to make an exhaust system (headers, etc). I also don't know what transmission your Olds engine had, so driveshaft length is also a question.

Most people end up spending in the neighborhood of $500 just for everything that is needed to swap a B-O-P engine to a SBC on top of the cost of the engine if the Chevy engine does not include its accessories.

-UT-

jae

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2006
I think you're going to need the short waterpump style, along with the appropriate fan and clutch. I think you should be able to run the A/C on the same side (passenger) - I haven't been around factory Chevy V8 Cuttys enough to 100% know if the alternator / A/C are opposite than the Olds V8, so that may be sticky. Should be able to keep the fan shroud too. Also note the starter on the Chevy is passenger-side, the Olds is driver-side, so the battery has to be moved as well. The canister has to be taken out and relocated since it's on the passenger-side. The coolant temp sensor will be in the same locale but the oil pressure sensor is different and located in a different spot on the Chevy. Not sure of the fuel pump you're going to use but the Olds has a return line to the tank. Definitely will need a new distributor, as stated you may have to get one without the EST (but if you have one that is EST, it's really easy to disable / convert it to non-EST).

May I ask which trans you have currently, THM200, TH-200-4R? Was thinking in terms of the crossmember and driveshaft. Hope this helps!

82cutty

Greasemonkey
Aug 3, 2008
You are gonna need the to do a few things for this to work. You need the frame mounts and motor mounts for a Chevy V-8 for starters. If you use the long tail shaft trannt you need to shorten your drive shaft 3 inches and remove the factory drive shaft loop bracket. For wiring you will have to change or lenghten the wires to accomedate the accesoried on the opposite side. The alternator should be on the same side (left) but all you battery cabkes will have to be moved to the other side. I could go on for hrs, it is any easy swap in a way because you can get to all the motor mount frame bolts without removing the front control arms, better with the motor out. I just did a V-6 to a Chevy V-8 within the last 3 months and did a V-6 to an Olds 307 a few yrs back(that one used the factory computer). Pm me for any details you may have.

Steve

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
When I did my 307 Olds to 350 chev swap the only things I was able to reuse were the HEI distributor cap, battery, alt, and air cleaner. The only real modifications I had to do was to lengthen the alternator wire that goes to the batt. and the starter wires from the main harness, since the alt, batt, and starter were on the driver side of the 307, and the alt and starter were on the pass side of the 350. I left the battery on the driver side because I didn't want to have to relocate my vapor canister.

Vern

Master Mechanic
Jul 23, 2007
Dayton, OH
Sheesh its about as much work to go from a 307 to a sbc as it was to go from from the 307 to the big Cad. I think I would keep the sbc for my pu and find an Olds 350/403 for direct drop in and bolt up. Nahh that would be too eazy how about a Ford motor.

beeterolds

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2007
Cleveland ohio 44131
why not just go from the 307 to another Olds engine? sure Chevy engines may be cheaper to build but not by much.. Hell i stuffed a 455 in my car for under 800 bucks including the cost of the engine!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor