'83 Cutlass Cruiser Build Thread

Been debating adding the vinyl woodgrain trim around the car once it's painted. Should I do it?

• Yes, that wagon needs woodgrain

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • No, leave that wagon smooth and simple.

Votes: 22 64.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Upgrades!

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Going to make it to the cruise night now in this instead of the Roadbarge? :)

Reactions: 1 user

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Honestly it was so hot last week I didn't even take the Roadbarge lol
Hopefully it'll cool down a bit this weekend but I'm not optimistic...
You might have to come help me bleed the brakes once it's together... It's nice and cool in the garage!

Reactions: 5 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Honestly it was so hot last week I didn't even take the Roadbarge lol
Hopefully it'll cool down a bit this weekend but I'm not optimistic...
You might have to come help me bleed the brakes once it's together... It's nice and cool in the garage!

Lol I probably wouldn't turn it down. My house doesn't have AC yet and my 2 window units only manage to bring it from like 92 inside to 79-80.

You might consider putting the AC box back in the wagon at this rate :)

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Time for an update!
The wagon is back on the road, here's how everything went...
New wheels and tires fit great and no more rubbing! I do miss the look of the old set but it's worth it for the clearance. I'm happy.
Rear mud flaps are on and only required minimal trimming on one side. I'm happy.
Rear suspension upgrades feel great and rear brakes seem to work correctly. I'm happy.
Axle swap... This was a mistake.
Try and help a buddy and save a few bucks... End up with some dumb****s junk. I should've known when I saw the brakes...
The posi shudders worse than my mom's Subaru when turning. The gears are noisey as hell, and to top it off the pinion seal leaks so the entire goddamn thing needs to come apart. Not happy.
Driveability-wise the gears are an improvement around town, but at higher cruising speeds they really highlight all the other shortcomings in the rest of this tired old drivetrain... *thinking intensifies*

Anyway here's a couple quick pics I snapped to prove it's finally off the jackstands lol

20210703_150030.jpg

20210703_150012.jpg

20210703_145858.jpg

I also got tired of somebody's Roadmaster being so much cleaner than mine that I bought this cream puff!

20210629_111329.jpg

I DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM! 😆

20210709_150326.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Winner
Reactions: 14 users

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
I love how the wagon looks blake!

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Time for an update!
The wagon is back on the road, here's how everything went...
New wheels and tires fit great and no more rubbing! I do miss the look of the old set but it's worth it for the clearance. I'm happy.
Rear mud flaps are on and only required minimal trimming on one side. I'm happy.
Rear suspension upgrades feel great and rear brakes seem to work correctly. I'm happy.
Axle swap... This was a mistake.
Try and help a buddy and save a few bucks... End up with some dumb****s junk. I should've known when I saw the brakes...
The posi shudders worse than my mom's Subaru when turning. The gears are noisey as hell, and to top it off the pinion seal leaks so the entire goddamn thing needs to come apart. Not happy.
Driveability-wise the gears are an improvement around town, but at higher cruising speeds they really highlight all the other shortcomings in the rest of this tired old drivetrain... *thinking intensifies*

Anyway here's a couple quick pics I snapped to prove it's finally off the jackstands lol

View attachment 179492

View attachment 179493

View attachment 179494

I also got tired of somebody's Roadmaster being so much cleaner than mine that I bought this cream puff!

View attachment 179495

I DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM! 😆

View attachment 179496
I love all three of them. When we move and build a shop, I need a wagon.

Reactions: 2 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Cool fleet of wagons. The Cruiser looks awesome. Gotta love the Roadmasters. Worse case scenario, you have a rolling parts car....:p
Bummer about the rear axle. You did add posi traction additive, didn't you?

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
If you really get sour on the rear end, I am likely putting an 8.5 in my cutlass and that has a good posi 3.42 7.5 so if you need that option.

Seeing the double wagons!

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Time for an update! Of sorts...
The car show formerly known as Car Craft came and went. Weather was tolerable and fun was had.
Been driving the car but not nearly as much as last summer...
The shuddering I was complaining about has mostly resolved itself but the noise is still there.
I'll blow it apart this winter and inspect it... Jacob suggested it may be a pinion bearing since there wasn't any bad wear on the gears?
Need to take some time and sort out which speedo gear I need to get everything accurate again. Hoping to accomplish that before winter.

In other distraction news...
I got the Century wagon out of storage last week and hauled it out to my buddy Willy's shop. (where I put the Olds together back in '08)
I'm going to do the body work on his '65 Buick Wildcat this winter while exploiting access to his shop... (He's got a hoist!)
So I'll finally be finishing up the Century soon and hopefully finding it a new home... 3rd times the charm!

20210821_193829.jpg

20210817_091439.jpg

Reactions: 10 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor