'83 Cutlass Cruiser Build Thread

Been debating adding the vinyl woodgrain trim around the car once it's painted. Should I do it?

• Yes, that wagon needs woodgrain

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • No, leave that wagon smooth and simple.

Votes: 22 64.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Your re getting close, that's for sure! e had a hot weekend for the holiday, and now it is raining, it's gonna rain for like 7 days strait according to the weather.

I got mine painted before you and liquidh8! Nana boo boo stick your head in doo doo 😛 :mrgreen: 😉:wax: Well, half of it anyways. On a serious note though, I'm on the edge of my seat to see the paint on this wagon. I check yours and his thread twice a day

Haha! about time! I keep checking your thread also.

Thursday I got the car masked up and called it a day at that.
Today I got another round of surfacer on the 1/4's, tailgate, hood and header panel.
Then I shot sealer on the roof, since as far as I'm concerned it's done...
Had a little left over so I was able to hit the gate hinges.
I'll block the 1/4's and tailgate out next and hopefully they'll be ready to stick a fork in.
Need to order up some more surfacer and sealer...

WP_001304.jpg

WP_001305.jpg

WP_001306.jpg

WP_001311.jpg

WP_001309.jpg

WP_001310.jpg

WP_001312.jpg

WP_001314.jpg

WP_001316.jpg

Reactions: Longroof79
Blake,
You're getting ready to rock n roll...🙂 Looking good, man. Keep up the good work.

Reactions: Blake442
Thanks, Jack!
I'm getting closer and closer to being ready to spray some color! :banana:

Yesterday I got the car unmasked and eye-balled how things turned out for a while.
Then I started sanding and got the tailgate and drivers side 1/4 panel blocked out and gave them my stamp of approval.
I only got about half of the drivers side 1/4 sanded before I ran out of steam for the day.

Tomorrow I'll finish sanding the drivers side 1/4 and then move on to the hood and header panel...

WP_001319.jpg

Blake,
This isn't going to be a show car? It's certainly going to be one super nice driver...😉

Reactions: Blake442
Run out of steam? Go get you a 5 hour energy and if your real crazy, take it with an energy drink. Don't want you to have a heart attack though before your cars done. I got to see it done you know. Lol. So do you have your day picked out yet for color?

I know, I know, my pace can be a bit slow at times...
I've been working 3rd shift now for over 4 years and it takes a toll on my energy levels some days.
I used to have one of those energy drinks every nite at lunchtime, but they started making me feel weird and I probably don't need any more caffeine in me before I go to bed... Trying to go to sleep when it's lite out is hard enough as it is! lol

Today I finished up the drivers side 1/4 panel and got most of the hood blocked out.
I need to spend a bit more time along the bottom of the window where I ground off the old studs for the trim I deleted.
Other than that, I'll make a blast around all the edges and the doors, gate and 1/4's are ready for sealer once I order it.
I also need to get some rock chip guard for the rockers/lower doors.

I might paint the 442 hood saturday so that I can get it on the car and out of the way, otherwise I'll keep going on the wagon...

Blake,
Being that you're going back to the "wood grain" look. What would you use to trim the perimeter of the wood grained panels? You've done away with the trim studs. Would you do something like Johnnie (Nowukno) did? He trimmed out the perimeter with a different color wood grain stick-on.
I know...I know, there's still time for that... just curious.

Last edited:
Hafrod, I'm aiming for first or second week of October or so to start spraying color...

Jack, I plan on using some 1/2" pinstriping tape for the borders around the paneling. I haven't picked out the exact style yet, but hope to find one that somewhat emulates the factory moldings... We'll see once I comb thru my options.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor