83 Monte gets a stronger heartbeat.

B

bowtiebutler956

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 10, 2017
I purchased a master rebuild kit that is using Rabestos high energy (green) clutches for the forward, intermediate, and direct clutches. Its using standard Borg Warner clutches for the low/reverse. The kit also included new steels, a hardened Intermediate sprag race (a known week point in the th350) as well as a new sprag. Also got a complete set of bushings and thrust washers. This isn't my first trans rebuild, so I already owned the needed tools for driving bushings, as well as a clutch spring tool for removing the low/reverse, direct, and forward piston springs. This OTC spring compressor works great, and really makes removing the Pain in the Butt low/reverse piston in the very bottom of the case much easier. Here are a few more pics.

Attachments

B

bowtiebutler956

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 10, 2017
Happy New Year! I'll post an update tomorrow.

Matt

motorheadmike

motorheadmike

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 18, 2009
Ottawa, Ontario Canada
Very cool build, Matt! Cannot believe I missed it. Looks like a very good family project/experience.

B

bowtiebutler956

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 10, 2017
Very cool build, Matt! Cannot believe I missed it. Looks like a very good family project/experience.
Thanks, I appreciate the kind words.

Made a little more progress today. I took the direct drum (3rd gear) apply piston to work with me today, and cut it down .150 on the brake lathe to give me the necessary clearance to install 5 clutches instead of 4 in the drum. Should add some holding power. I also finished rebuilding all the rest of the sub-assemblies including the front pump. Replaced all the bushings, and added a wider bushing to the direct drum, as well as a wide bushing to the front of the stater. All clutches air tested great. Making progress, just wish I had more time, but should have it back in the car this weekend. Thanks
Matt

Attachments

B

bowtiebutler956

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 10, 2017
Just a brief update. The last of the parts I needed finally came in today, including a Transgo shift reprogram kit, new torque converter, and a 2nd gear accumulator spring. When I got this used trans, someone had already removed this spring (poor mans shift kit), but the Trango kit wants you to run one, so I bought one. The converter is a stock stall speed, which is perfect with this engine. I'm putting in alot of hours at work right now, so my shop time is limited, but I hope to finish it up Sunday. Here are a couple pics. Thanks

Matt

Attachments

B

bowtiebutler956

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 10, 2017
Almost there! I got out of work at 5:00, and went straight to the shop. Installed the transgo shift kit, with the exception of the governor springs, as I would rather see where the shift points are at before deciding to change the factory springs. The trans is fully assembled, and I'll install it after church tomorrow. I'm so ready to have my car back on the road.:wax:

Matt

Attachments

CaliWagon83

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
Sweet! Do you already have the 2.73 on it?

B

bowtiebutler956

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 10, 2017
Sweet! Do you already have the 2.73 on it?
Nope, still got the 2.29's. I spent all my extra pennies on this trans, and I still have to buy the Moser axles for the diff swap. It will have to wait a little while.... Maybe. :whistle:
Matt

B

bowtiebutler956

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 10, 2017
This trans is awesome! Its shifts are quick, and crisp, but not harsh at all. I did have a leak I had to deal with. The aluminum gasket behind one of the brass nuts that the trans lines screw into was leaking, but I stole one off the old TH250, and problem solved. Very happy to have my car back. :D

Matt

Attachments