Re: '83 Regal LTD build *issue*

Congratulations on the baby!

Oh, and if thay Optima Red was new last summer - It prob needs a charge by now

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI

I'll connect a ground to the engine and see if I get any change. I also have a good 49 series battery on my shelf that I can replace the OPTIMA with. I have a automatic battery maintainer on the OPTIMA, so it stays fully charged. I have learned the nature of these batteries.

Thanks for the congrats on my little one. He's amazing :!: 9 months already :shock:

LS1GN

G-Body Guru
Aug 7, 2011
Central Florida

Okay, wow. Here I thought you all had a newborn and he is probably getting ready to walk!!!!!

This is my problem on these message boards - the dates - stuff can be really old and I assume it is like yesterday. I was reading about a guy's transmission and the date is 200 :eek: 6!

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI

Just a quick update before the weekend ....

....last weekend we tinkered around with the Regal, reset the distributor (again) :roll: Then we realized that the carburetor was pouring fuel into the venturi's, even long after the fuel pump was shut off. So we get the float levels re-adjusted (supposed to be set from the factory). Removed all the spark plugs and rotated the engine, resulting in gasoline pouring out of a couple cylinders :shock: I ended up draining the nice new Royal Purple break-in oil because it smelled like pure gasoline "I'm not going to lie to you Brian, that smells like pure gasoline" :lol: (had to throw that in there). So, let the engine sit all week and dry out. Put new oil and filter in. Fuel pressure is a steady 5psi and the floats hold their rightful positions :mrgreen:

We will be starting it this weekend :!: I am so excited :!:

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
Re: '83 Regal LTD build !!!IT'S ALIVE!!!

Saturday afternoon, it was a warm and sunny January day ... haha

Fired the new engine up. It ran for about 60 seconds and then shut off :( Turning the electric fuel pump on helps :roll: With the fuel pump on and the bowls filled and th pressure up to 5psi, we fire it back up. Straight into the break-in process. Running smoothly! No valve train noise. A little exhaust leak. Running a little rich. A couple of oil leaks. Holding a steady 180* ... shoots up to 205* at one point but then right back down to 180* 8) 21 minutes of 2000 - 2600 RPM seems like a long time, but it actually goes pretty quickly. Shut her down and let up cool for about 30 minutes. Changed the oil and filter. Fired it back up and proceeded to fine tune the carburetor and timing. Pin pointed exactly where the oil leaks were originating. Got the transmission topped off ... and believe it or not, we called it a night. Didn't even drive it :lol:

I am so excited that it is finally running and running good at that. I did take my wife to work with it today (12 mile round trip) didn't even take it over 3000 RPM. It sounds amazing and has great power (as much as I have gotten into it)

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI

This is good news. Is it bad that I am more excited over this than when you told me your kid was born? :lol:

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI

CHRIS.O said:
This is good news. Is it bad that I am more excited over this than when you told me your kid was born? :lol:
It's understandable. It definitely ranks right up there him being born. This is the first engine I completely built on my own. I wish my dad was here to enjoy it with me. He would be so proud.

It is amazing how strong it pulls with the factory highway gear in the rear. I can't wait until I know for sure that the oil leaks are all sealed up and I can run it up to 6000 RPM :twisted: I can tell right now that its going to give me the "shaking foot syndrom" when I can get into it all the way :!:

I will get some video and sound clip as soon as possible :mrgreen:

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI

EXCELLENT. I love videos.

lg1200

Master Mechanic
Mar 1, 2011

i'm proud for you Ritter...word up...i've been watching a few member build threads and i've thoroughly enjoyed checking back for updates on your progress with the Regal. I just picked up my block from the machine shop last friday and should have the rebuild kit in two weeks then I'll be on the same route as you...congrats on the progress AND the little bundle of joy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor