'83 Regal LTD build *9/17 update*

Status
Not open for further replies.

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
Re: '83 Regal LTD build *UPDATE 10/1*

I have a co-worker of mine that is good with electrical work coming to help me out this weekend. So, hopefully we will get this issue narrowed down and get this new engine fired up :twisted:

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI

You ever get these problems fixed?

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI

Alright, so I purchased a nice OTC spark tester and guess what ... I have spark :roll: Apparently I just wasn't grounding my spark plug or my screw driver good enough :idea: So the spark is there. I must just have the distributor 180* off or something.

BTW, I did fix the door buzzer .... with the power wire connected to the distributor it doesn't do it :idea: Not sure if thats normal, but apparently thats what it took to fix it on my car :lol:

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
Re: '83 Regal LTD build *issue*

How can you tell if a motor needs a high torque starter :?: I am still having a problem getting my brand new engine fired up :x Its getting fuel. It just doesn't seem like its rolling over hard enough to me :? It has good spark. Brand new red top OPTIMA mounted in the trunk with USA 2ga wire.

SPECS:
-SBC 350 bored .030" over (355ci)
-flat top 4 valve relief 5cc
-piston compression height 1.560"
-GM 041 heads originally 64cc chamber (I bought the heads, used of course. they had been milled down enough to have to have my intake milled for the bolt holes to align. And I did not measure the actual volume of the chamber before installation)
-head gasket thickness .039"
-head gasket cylinder diameter 4.125"

Do you think I need a high torque starter :?: What type of compression ratio do you think the engine is at :?:

B1tchin'-Buick

Master Mechanic
Jan 11, 2010

I apologize cause I can't answer your question but I just had to tell you sweet freaken' work on the car! I know the build has taken you a while but at least your almost done. :mrgreen: My 82' Regal Limited sits till spring with the mighty V6NA she boast :rofl: ...... Good luck on getting her fired up!

B1tchin'-Buick

Master Mechanic
Jan 11, 2010

RITTER said:
How can you tell if a motor needs a high torque starter :?: I am still having a problem getting my brand new engine fired up :x Its getting fuel. It just doesn't seem like its rolling over hard enough to me :? It has good spark. Brand new red top OPTIMA mounted in the trunk with USA 2ga wire.

SPECS:
-SBC 350 bored .030" over (355ci)
-flat top 4 valve relief 5cc
-piston compression height 1.560"
-GM 041 heads originally 64cc chamber (I bought the heads, used of course. they had been milled down enough to have to have my intake milled for the bolt holes to align. And I did not measure the actual volume of the chamber before installation)
-head gasket thickness .039"
-head gasket cylinder diameter 4.125"

Do you think I need a high torque starter :?: What type of compression ratio do you think the engine is at :?:
Bump....

LS1GN

G-Body Guru
Aug 7, 2011
Central Florida

Battery in trunk must be done carefully. You have to almost be anal with clean ground and sufficiently sized cable. Are you using body ground or frame ground? From the factory, G bodies were grounded to body, and were electrically isolated from the frame.

FWIW: I have a giant 65 series battery in my trunk. I have a short double ott cable from the neg post to a clean spot on the frame. I have a 2 gauge cable running from the neg post (through the frame) to the tail of the transmission. I also have the motor grounded to the frame AND have a braided (factory) strap from the intake manifold to the firewall on a spot of clean metal.

There is huge loss of amperage with poor connections and long runs.

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI

I have a 36" 2/0 negative running to the frame and a 18" 8ga lead to the body. I have the 2/0 positive running all the way to the starter. A 6ga wire from the alternator to battery. Both grounds connections, from the battery, were hit with a wire wheel and cleaned very well. After installing the cables, they were coated with the battery sealant spray. I also have a nice 1" braided ground strap from the head to firewall.

LS1GN

G-Body Guru
Aug 7, 2011
Central Florida

Sounds like you have a great neg connection from battery to frame. Is the engine and/or transmission grounded to the frame? Don't assume the factory-type motor mounts prvide engine ground, driveshaft either.

With a good battery that motor should whip over, doesn't matter what the compression ratio is (or the new rings).

I would try three things: jump start it, swap batteries with something else temporarily, use an old piece of battey cable and temporarily ground something on the engine (you can use vice grips) see if the cranking speed seems to get faster

hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor