BUILD THREAD 84 Hurst Olds - TechG8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I picked up a 70 Cutlass S this year. Needs a lot of work but getting there. I am turning it into Doctor Olds mileage machine this winter, already getting 21 mpg imperial. Using the Olds 260 that was in it, the nice TH2004R from the 88, higher stall and all with the factory 2.78 gears for next year and finishing the interior as well. That QJet you did will stay with my 88 Cutlass as I gut the interior and finish the 403 stroker and turn it into an 1/8 and 1/4 mile car. That 84 Hurst/Olds is the car I should have bought instead of my 88. Good part on my 88 is it has no value so I can do what I want to it:mrgreen:. Good luck and enjoy.

techg8

Master Mechanic
Feb 29, 2012
I swapped the original rims back on, and the aluminum aftermarkets are headed to the swap meet. Looking at the car makes me happy now.

88HurstOlds hooked me up with a nice 17084554 Qjet (thanks!). I rebuilt it and installed it today.

Ends up the last owner had welded a O2 sensor bung in the exhaust after installing the headers.

So the CCC harness plugged right in and I am running on the Computer now!

I still need an original A4 intake - the Edelbrock RPM intake is too high to install the original aircleaner.

small progress in the right direction!
DSCN1693.JPG

Reactions: 3 users

kalidromos13

Master Mechanic
Oct 12, 2016
Palmdale, CA
Looks great! Cant wait to see some progress!

techg8

Master Mechanic
Feb 29, 2012
I pulled the drivers door panel today.

Cleaned out the silt, leaves and mouse crap from inside the doors, and then screwdrivered the lower door seam to clean it out.

Cleared the drain holes and flushed it out with water.

When it dries I plan to POR15 the inside of the lower door to stop the rust.

I also removed the outer window felt which needs replaced. My car has the chrome trim on it. Whats the best repro for this? Do I need to buy one with the chrome trim or can I swap my current chrome moulding onto a replacement felt?

Once I have completed the drivers door, it will be the passengers turn!

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I'm giving this a bump so one of the Olds guys will hopefully chime in on your question regarding the outer window sweep.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
I pulled the drivers door panel today.

Cleaned out the silt, leaves and mouse crap from inside the doors, and then screwdrivered the lower door seam to clean it out.

Cleared the drain holes and flushed it out with water.

When it dries I plan to POR15 the inside of the lower door to stop the rust.

I also removed the outer window felt which needs replaced. My car has the chrome trim on it. Whats the best repro for this? Do I need to buy one with the chrome trim or can I swap my current chrome moulding onto a replacement felt?

Once I have completed the drivers door, it will be the passengers turn!
I couldn't tell from the exterior pic, but does your H/O have the chrome trim on the top edge of the door or not? That would determine which felt straps you need as there are 2 different styles. My 87 doesn't have that trim....I recently picked up my felt strip kit from rockauto for $118 for both inner and outer sets. I believe just the outers are around $60ish or so. The brand is fairchild which have been making oem type weatherstripping for a long time and I must say the quality is top notch.

All of the screw holes line up perfectly as where most aftermarket brands need a little honing to get the holes lined up. Here is a pic of mine....I actually got the Buick regal style as all my trim will be blacked out, but the cutlass and regal doors are the same and rockauto has the chrome bead style. Hope this helps and any questions man just ask away!
Scott
20160919_173308.jpg
20160919_173336.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I have used the Fairchild outer window sweeps from Rockauto with the wide chrome. Just remove the old seal off your wide chrome and tuck it under. It massively reduced wind noise.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor