BUILD THREAD 84 Hurst Olds - TechG8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I though Wix was bought by Baldwin or somebody else a few years ago.
Pretty sure you are thinking of Hastings. Both are US made on the same line. Their fuel filters are Made in China but it is an easy to find 3/8" metal fuel filter for me. I believe Wix is still owned by the Dana Corp and Made in Canada. I usually go with Hastings being the cheapest locally.

techg8

Master Mechanic
Feb 29, 2012
I rebuilt the alternator because the brushes were 3/4 gone. I had intended only to clean up the case.....but while I was in there I replaced everything I could with new.

DSCN2288.JPG DSCN2287.JPG

And this weekend I put a lot of work into the transmission. It took a lot of cleaning. The old seals and clutches were really coming apart. It was a very good decision to pull and rebuild it. I got it cleaned, rebuilt, assembled, air tested and ready to install. I did end up going with a TransGo kit. Clearly someone had been in the unit previously because there were some aftermarket springs in there that I got rid of. My CKperformance 2004r manual really was a great reference. Here is hoping the results are sound!

DSCN2289.JPG

Reactions: 7 users

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
My trans is almost done. Nice to see someone still fixing alternators. Its not as easy to source diodes and brushes locally anymore.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: 3 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
My trans is almost done. Nice to see someone still fixing alternators. Its not as easy to source diodes and brushes locally anymore.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Now I buy NOS and get to forego all the rebuilding. But I have rebuilt the ones on the A-bodies. Years ago, Delco used to sell a kit with most of the junk in it for the internal regulator ones. Just had to buy a few other piddly parts and with using your old case, cleaned up rotor/stator, you pretty much got a new alternator out of the deal.

Reactions: 1 user

techg8

Master Mechanic
Feb 29, 2012
I was doing my level best to flush out the D5 torque converter at home, when I noticed the crack seen in this pic. I guess D5 is headed for the scrap pile.

DSCN2294.JPG

I have an almost new converter , unknown manufacturer, unknown stall, but lockup capable, and from a recently built performance 2004r that burned its frictions up. The trans was given to me as a parts trans but other than the burnt fluid and clutch dust it seems in great shape. No metal flakes in the fluid at all. None came out of the converter either. So I am going to install that converter.

Today I was under the car, and I tried 3x to lift the trans into place. I just couldn't get it angled right to get a bolt in. I was getting to the point where I wanted to throw something, and had started shouting at the car.....so I decided it was time to let it rest. The trans is on the jack under the car on jackstands. I will get a helper to push it against the engine while I jack it up. That should let it sit on the dowels long enough to get a few bolts in.

Ohhh for a lift...….

Reactions: 1 users

85442/86buick

G-Body Guru
Feb 12, 2013
Perth Country , Ontario
well that sucks , but at least you saw now..............not in a 1,000 miles.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Yeah, working alone sux especially the older you get (look at all my NOT progress) but it is usually something obvious that won’t let that bad boy slide right in. In addition to potential damage prevention when you are to the point of throwing sh*t, I suspect taking the break will reveal the the problem right off.

Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Been there, done that. I have been defeated by a transmission a time or two. Also happened to be a 2004R trans, at least you are not heaving a 4L80E or a new 6, 8 or 10 speed up there.

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
Hopefully you get lucky but its never a good idea to use a converter frome a smoked trans in a fresh one. Especially when a reman D5 can be had for about $150 including the core charge from rock auto.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

DR HURST 84

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 30, 2018
Just got back some info on one of my 84' Hursts...it is #3193 and was built February 29th 1984...there is no 29th of February...its a leap year car...nothing really special but a cool fact...took about a month for the onfo but submitted it right befote the holidays.

Very Cool! My car was built the same day. Number 3184.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor